Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

Couple of Stripping Questions and Concerns

Question

Hello all... It has been a long time since I posted on here. Today is the first time I even got back onto this board and was way behind.

Last Year I stripped off a Deck that had Green Acrylic on it from Behr. I was able to get a very good percentage off using HD-80 in its normal strength. I know that HD-80 is not formulated for that kind of stripping but it turned out great and the customer is very very pleased.

Now... The new season is here and after reading on the boards, I am reading more and more of the miracles of HD-80. I have 2 jobs booked this month that gives me flashbacks on the green deck I did.

I read somewhere that Beth did a blue latex deck and had much success... did you have a boost applied with that or straight HD-80?

One deck I am doing this month is a white, I believe is latex and I know I keep hearing on the successes of HD-80 and I have seen proof through my own deck job using HD-80 but could it have just been luck? I am afraid to do this white deck. I always feel like ... Okay, what we did before was luck, this time it wont be. I plan on using HD-80, but what other products out there would work that is specially formulated for Acrylic and Latex paint? I read something about using Removall exterior paint stripper. Anyone have a comment on this? What about Severe Strip from SunBrite?

The other job I am doing is a Dock. It was previously Applied with Sikkens Rubbol Deck and the customer said that it was supposed to last 10 to 12 years and it didn't. Will HD-80 remove that? I plan on sealing with Cabots Solid Coloe Decking Stain. Is that a good choice?

One more thing... I am getting more calls from people who want their porch floors redone. I have one that I am starting and I have plans on just sanding it smooth. The customer wants the same color applied and it is Benjamin Moores Porch/Floor Enamel. If the previous paint was a latex and I am sanding it just so that is it smooth, I should re-paint it with an latex correct? Not an Alkyd Oil based Porch paint?

I know this is a lot to discuss, but I would appreciate any thoughts and comments on this. This is my second year and although last year was successful, I am still pretty much nervous and want to get off to a good start.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

did you have a boost applied with that or straight HD-80?

Nope. Rod didn't boost the HD-80 on that job.

Applied with Sikkens Rubbol Deck and the customer said that it was supposed to last 10 to 12 years and it didn't. Will HD-80 remove that?

I believe it will, since it is a solid stain, yes.

Hope this helps. :groovy3: I'll see what Rod has to add when he's back in the office.

Beth

Okay, I think my post was maybe too long and had too many things to discuss so I will just mention what my main question is. I was able to read on other posts and got some really good information and feedback. What I still want to know is....

What would you do with a green covered porch floor? I think it is Latex based but how do you know for sure? The Customer wants it re-painted in the same Hunter Green color, you know, to keep it looking good. He wanted an Alkyd Oil paint applied but I told him that if it was latex, we cant do that. He was fine with that and will accept a Latex paint. I will be using Benjamin Moores Porch Paint. What would you do to prepare for the re-application? All I was thinking of was to sand it smooth since its the same color. Am I making a mistake here and should be stripping it instead?

Thanks in advance for your replies.