Sign in to follow this  
PATZPW

Tell Me What Your Thoughts

Question

I Currently Work In The Automotive Field And I Feel It's Time For A Change. I'm Looking At The Possibility Of Training To Become A Licensed

Home Inspector. Right Now I Wash Part Time, So What I Would Do Is Put The Home Inspection And Pressure Washing As One Business. Any Info, Advice, Ideas Or Comments Would Be Great.

Thanks

Patrick

3 answers to this question

From a standpoint of one who works in the real estate/financing biz and use home inspectors often, I know we have to be careful of conflicts. It might be perceived that if you, as the home inspector, may find a need for pressure washing to say, get the mildew off of a roof or siding and HEY, I just happen to be able to take care of that for you are "cornering your market" unfairly. Or worse, may look like you are "finding" reasons for your company to come wash something. If we, as brokers, have a business relationship with one particular person, we actually have to have the customers sign ackowledging that we have an affiliation agreement.

I would leave them separate - you can certainly offer the services of your other company, but rolled into one - it's not the direction I would take. The other thing I'm considering a factor is that at some point, we'd all like to think that people see pressure washing for more than a sideline (which painters have done to us for years).

But remember, opinions are like bellybuttons - everyone's got one :)

I have done home inspections in the past. There is good money in it, but people seem to think that you should be able to see through solid walls and find anything that is wrong. Then when you do find something that needs fixed, the sellers get a real attitude that you dare find something wrong with their perfect house. Then you need what is called errors and omission insurance just for the home inspection business, this is something general liability insurance doesn't cover. Just my .02 cents.

If your serious about becoming a home inspector I would contact the two national ORGs and find out what they require to be members and qualify.

Then take classes in that field.

What Celeste says about keeping them seperate is right on.

When I am ready to hire a home inspector I will be sure that is the only thing he does for a living and has several years experience as I will want the best of the best even if it cost a couple hundred more.