Sign in to follow this  
glock40

patio floor

Question

Hello all I was asked to look at a job for a house thats probably a million bucks. Well you know after looking at the rear patio floor I was asked to powerwash it and put a stain on it. This deck is estimated to be about 24 feet wide by 120 feet long. If i did it by hand it would take foreever. I normally do everything by hand but I cant for this patio floor. Anyone have any ideas as to any power equipment to use ?

8 answers to this question

A concrete patio? Powerwash with a surface cleaner. I assume the patio is concrete or some type of tile (if it's wood, we call it a deck regardless of the configuration in the south, so I could be wrong on this issue). If you have to seal the concrete, just get the seal in a 5 gallon bucket, put it on a small dolly so you can roll it easily, and apply with a lambskin pad and long handle. I put 6 coats of sealant on an 8,000 sq. ft. warehouse floor in two days. I was moving at a rate of about 3500 sq. feet per hour with liberal coverage on the first two coats....it went much faster after that.

I tried using a sprayer, but found it to be too cumbersome and abandoned it for the applicator. I went through 4 or 5 applicator pads.

When I am not using an HVLP sprayer (which is too often) I use lambskin pads too. If they are the same ones I use they are excellent for eveness of sealer distribution and they get down into the cracks and they don't drip like crazy. Thye are about ten bucks and screw onto the end of an extension pole. Bummer is I can't find replacement pads and have to buy the whole thing over and over

Ryan sorry for getting back so late I sealed the deal for the deck its a wood patio floor not concrete.Total feet is 2360 how do you recommend that this job get stone to apply the stain? what type of stain are you using I let the customer go pick out their own material. They ussually use behr from home chepo. I want to start buying my own product and marking it up what do you recommend for decks. Oh by the way ryan no rails or spindals on this deck 2400 cash. Is that reasonable?

Can't help you on wood....not my bag. I don't have the patience for it. Do some searches for Ready Seal, Wood Tux, F-18, or HD-80 and read what others have said about stripping and sealing. You'll find that it isn't a quick-and-easy deal. There are some wood pros all over this board that can tell you *exactly* what you need to do.

Ken,

Menco carries the lambswool replacement pads as do Sherwin Williams stores (at least one in my area).

For applying stain to large areas you have many options such as airless, pump-up,

apply with lambswool pads, apply with roller, etc.

One watch-out is if the boards are not close together, the lambswool will not go between the boards very well and brushing takes much time.

Sherwin Williams (along with others) carry a stain brush thats about 4" wide and you can attach (screw in) a long or short handle.

When I am not using an HVLP sprayer (which is too often) I use lambskin pads too. If they are the same ones I use they are excellent for eveness of sealer distribution and they get down into the cracks and they don't drip like crazy. Thye are about ten bucks and screw onto the end of an extension pole. Bummer is I can't find replacement pads and have to buy the whole thing over and over

Where do you get your lambskin pads? Im looking for somthing fairly big to cover quite a bit of sq ft quickly. I was using the 18 inch pads from The Sealer Store but they are out of stock. Looking for somthing I can order online and get quickly.

Thanks

Ryan sorry for getting back so late I sealed the deal for the deck its a wood patio floor not concrete.Total feet is 2360 how do you recommend that this job get stone to apply the stain? what type of stain are you using I let the customer go pick out their own material. They ussually use behr from home chepo. I want to start buying my own product and marking it up what do you recommend for decks. Oh by the way ryan no rails or spindals on this deck 2400 cash. Is that reasonable?

hell no, 2400 is TOO low in my opinion, unless that doesn't include stain price. you should be getting about 2.00$ a sq/ft. for stripping and staining as a STARTING figure. I wouldn't go any lower than that... If I'm bidding that, I'm going About 4k at the low end (couple of dollar discount because it's all flat work..)

And you could probably save some material money and use stain pads and mop the Ready Seal on... and get between the boars with a brush. After that, you could invest in a decker (my next purchase!!)