Sign in to follow this  
M Pearlstein

Large project - a few questions

Question

I just bid this today and I think I will get it next week. I am going to use HD 80 for the first time and I wanted to see how I avoid killing the grass. The pool cover will be off and I cannot wash into the pool.

post-1075-137772143257_thumb.jpg

post-1075-137772143262_thumb.jpg

post-1075-137772143266_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Mark, maybe you can talk them into keeping the pool covered. It is going to wash into it. Thats a tough job, that grass is immaculate. I would jst try to keep it soaked with water while I was stripping. You will probably brown the edges. Be up front with the people.

You might want to consider EFC-38 and maybe applying the same sealer? Is that Cabot's on there now?

That pool cover probably would not stop the liquid runoff from getting into the pool. I would create a berm to direct the runoff away from the pool.

When I feel runoff is going to get into a pool, I advise the homeowner to keep the filter running, keep an eye on ph levels and adjust accordingly, and if needed add a floccing (sp?) agent which bonds to the debris, sinks to the bottom of the pool, and can be vaccuumed up. These methods have always worked fine for me.

Regarding your first use of HD-80, this is probably not the best project to learn about a new product for you. But, if you're going to do it, start out with the HD-80 at half strength or less, and see if that works for you. Don't forget the neutralizing step afterwards.

When stripping a deck I assume you low pressure apply the stripper, let it dwell, then pressure wash it, or do you need to manually scrub?

Where are you guys getting the EFC-38?

When you talk about a neutralization process, are you talking about a neutralizer like you would use in stripping floors or just flooding with water?

Tony - you are right the pool cover is mesh and my company takes care of the pool so the issue is that my division will get charged back whatever extra labor and chemicals are required to get this pool perfect from the pool service division. It may even be a salt water pool - no chlorine tabs - which will complicate things further. The best I can come up with for this is to block the spa and use it as a holding basin and than take a sump pump and run the waste to the street. Along the back side by the grass and opposite the spa is going to be tough. Maybe I can work it out so I get a pool vaccuum cart out there after stripping and get my helper ot vac.