Sign in to follow this  
Larry B

Cedar fence cleaned w/questions

Question

This is my first fence I stripped using my own mix. After pics are pre stain.

I used the scratch test to determine when I had reached the proper dwell for the graffiti. I was curious if there is a way to avoid fuzzing the rest of the boards where there were no graffiti marks, outside of applying the stipper with a paintbrush on the graffiti. The fuzzing was not too bad it was just more than on any other part of the fence. I also noticed that in cracks and crevases of the knotholes, the failed Thompson's turned white and would not rinse out. Is the proper method to reapply stripper to the knots individually? I cut the mix in half for the rest of the fence and had no problems

P.S. The homeowner was thrilled to be rid of the eyesore artwork.

post-1099-137772143677_thumb.jpg

post-1099-137772143685_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Looks good to me Larry :cool:

what ya srip it with?

You probally won't even see those knots that you couldn't get all the old finish when it dries. Are you going to stian it?

You can spot strip and it not going to hurt.Once it looks like you have all the old finished stripped.When you brighten is when you want to spray the fence even so it's not all blotchy.

Thanks for the compliment. I used noah to strip, I changed up my truck washing soap to make a stripper. I did this after several practice runs at home first so as not to use customers as test subjects.

Looked good after brightening and drying. I was concerned about the white stuff but sounds like it will look good. I am going to stain it using Cabot's. Shipping to the West Coast is a little pricey to use RS or Wood Tux, so have to go with what I can get locally.

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you all. I was concerned about the stain left in the knots but it sounds like it is no problem. I don't think the homeowner would even notice but I know I would. I will be staining today.

Thanks again

Larry

Larry:..I just did my first one also, but no grafitti on it..what was your mix? Also, notice a lot of grass around the fence and I'm still searching for ways to keep mix & stain off the grass..any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks..denny

This is my first fence I stripped using my own mix. After pics are pre stain.

I used the scratch test to determine when I had reached the proper dwell for the graffiti. I was curious if there is a way to avoid fuzzing the rest of the boards where there were no graffiti marks, outside of applying the stipper with a paintbrush on the graffiti. The fuzzing was not too bad it was just more than on any other part of the fence. I also noticed that in cracks and crevases of the knotholes, the failed Thompson's turned white and would not rinse out. Is the proper method to reapply stripper to the knots individually? I cut the mix in half for the rest of the fence and had no problems

P.S. The homeowner was thrilled to be rid of the eyesore artwork.

Also, notice a lot of grass around the fence and I'm still searching for ways to keep mix & stain off the grass..any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks..denny

I use strips of burlap sacks layed along the fence. :cool:

I like the burlap suggestion, cheap and disposable when bad. The brown on the grass is mud it, has been raining for nearly threee weeks straight and the ground is supersaturated, just walking on it squishes the water out.. This was a good one too see the plant life reactions to any overspray (bad, lots of burn marks), as it borders a drainage ditch near the street and is mostly weeds with a little grass in it.

I use caustic soda for my mix instead of the powdered NaOH. I find I have less trouble and spend less time mixing when I do large quantities of 300 gallons or more. I do hate the fact that it freezes at around 60 degrees though.