Sign in to follow this  
Tronman

Roof cleaning

Question

I have a roof cleaning job tomorrow. Spoke to thecustomer and he said that a pressure washer co. came out and cleaned the roofs on two of his neighbors homes and wanted me to do the same. I explained to him that I was going to propell chemical onto his roof, let it dwell for about 20 min, then rinse.

He then began to tell me how the "Other guy" did it. He said the other guy was walking on the roof without a harness (VERY steep pitch), and spraying chemical from a bucket on the ground. He said the pressure washer was spraying th eroof so hard he could barely hold on to the gun.

My understanding is that you do not agitate the asphalt shingles with a broom or hard pressure beacuse it knocks off the granuals that protect the roof and that help inhibit fungus growth. To my way of thinking the life expectancy of these other two roofs was just cut in half. They do look brand new...for now...

5 answers to this question

Look around the gutter downspout exits on the houses that were hit hard and see if you see granules from the roof scattered about. A rule of thumb I'm using when doing roofs....if I'm getting wet from the spray of my rinse, then I'm hitting the roof too hard.

Look around the gutter downspout exits on the houses that were hit hard and see if you see granules from the roof scattered about. A rule of thumb I'm using when doing roofs....if I'm getting wet from the spray of my rinse, then I'm hitting the roof too hard.

If I'm getting wet at all, I don't have enough help :)

Never let a customer tell you how to do a job. This is where you and your professional experience comes in to play. There will always be some "other" guy whether speaking of prices , procedures, etc. Tell them the proper, safe , efficient way to get the results the customer requires. The customers called you the professional for a reason. At that point you now will have to educate them.

Never let a customer tell you how to do a job. This is where you and your professional experience comes in to play. There will always be some "other" guy whether speaking of prices , procedures, etc. Tell them the proper, safe , efficient way to get the results the customer requires. The customers called you the professional for a reason. At that point you now will have to educate them.

Exactly! I've walked away from jobs where the customer was adamant about how I was to do the job...I lost one rather large roof cleaning job (a dozen or so 8500 square foot two story apartment buildings) because the owner was adamant that if they looked totally clean then I "blasted the hell out of them) and he'd be very upset. I did my best to educate him on how I do it, and why it will look virtually brand new without any damage. Still a no-go.

I've been told not to use the surface cleaner, since it will remove the top layer of concrete (this wasn't new concrete). Wanted me to use the wand.

I wonder if these folks tell the plumber how to install the toilet, or the electrician how to wire in a new light fixture...

By gosh, if it makes him feel better I would have left some dirt on the roof!!!

I walk away from about 2 to 3 jobs per week because the customer knows better.

I'm sure you've seen the sign that says:

- If I do the job, it's $60 per hour.

- If the customer watches, it's $80 per hour.

- If the customer helps, it's $160 per hour.

Need to add: - If the customer tells how to do it, it's $200 per hour.