Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

Cedar Deck

Question

Here is a deck that I finsihed today with TWP Cedar tone Natural, that is going to be in a KC home and Garden Magazine. The owners garden is awesome, but I forgot to take a picture of it. The deck was stained last year by Wood Renew here in Kansas City, but the stain looked TERRIBLE. Dont know what he did last year, but it didnt last. There were runs, streaks, fades, peels, and cracks. Stripped the whole thing, including the arbor, and stained in two days. I hope it looks nice. The owner LOVED it. She was so happy, she gave me a tip!!!!! She is going to include my business name in the article, so hopefully, my phone wont stop ringing.

post-973-137772143718_thumb.jpg

post-973-137772143722_thumb.jpg

post-973-137772143727_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

right at 2000. That included everything. It was a little under 700 sq ft, so around $3 a sq ft. I hope I never have to do an arbor again. What a pain in teh arse by myself!!!

Now that's my kind of arbor nice job :cool:

How did you measure the arbor?

I'll measure them pretty precise getting every sqft. there is on that puppy.

2K is a good job but the arbor looks over 700 sqft alone.What were the deminsions of the arbor?

Arbors, (or pergolas as we call 'em on the East Coast) can contain an amazing amount of wood surface due to all four sides being stained.

Measured out a 20.5 x 24.5 one last week. Not including the four support posts which were a prefinished synthetic material, the total amount of wood to be stained was 877 sq. ft.

Personally, I try and make things to appear to be as many sf as possible. I am not suggesting to lie about the area......but, when they see the estimate, i'd rather them think I am charging $1.00 per sf for 2000 sf of deck, than for them to think I am charging $2.00 for 1000 sf of wood. So i'd suggest getting a formula to include posts, trellis, arbors, rails, etc. as a sf price.

Why you ask?? Because you may put on one heck of a sales presentation, and they may want to hire you, but don't know if your price is in-line with what others charge. So they call Company X and ask, "what do you charge to restore a deck with 2000sf of wood surface?? Most likely their price will be over $1.00 pr ft, and now you not only sold them good, they feel like they are getting a good deal. I've found customers do this, even when they want to hire you, they make calls (not necessarily appointments) and screen your price. That is why you have customers asking you, "how many sf is my deck", or "what do you charge per sf." They are wanting to CALL for some estimates, rather than have to do so many in person.