Sign in to follow this  
stevejesse

make own wood cleaner

Question

9 answers to this question

Sodium hydroxide and sodium percarbonate are generally used for two different reasons. S/H for stripping, S/P for cleaning. Yes, the mixes can be adjusted up/down to perform in a particular manner, but that is not typically the case.

I like to think that cheap stuff ain't good, and good stuff ain't cheap.

It never hurts to look for the best prices, but not to the point where you are skimping on vital points....such as safety, health issues, conveniance, liability, etc.

I mix my own cleaners but have been thinking about just using s/h in various concentrations..anyboby else do this? It seems like the percarbs have a difficult time dissolving in cold water. I'm in a rural area and the well water is cold and theres always undissolved per carb in the bottom of the container so you never know what the concentration of the next batch is composed of and because of the short pot life you can't mix it early in warmer water like you can s/h or acids.

I used stripper on a dock with no finish on it just years of dead grey wood. mixed at about 2 oz..gal. short dwell and it worked great.. after the acid it looked almost new. The owner was very impressed and so was I. Almost no fuzz. Made out like a bandit on that one. Anyway is there really any benefit to the percarbs...if you can come up with various concentrations for s/h for different situations? I like the foamy fizzle of carbs and all, but what is the real plus when weighing all factors, i.e. another product to ship and buy in enough bulk to offset shipping...hard time dissolving...short pot-life.. is a WEAK s/h solution really more unhealthy than a strong per carb..etc. Does anyone have a guideline for concentration of s/h for just cleaning or stripping a weak failed oil-based semi?..start at 1-2 oz./gal..I know every one is different do tests.

good point Dale, often felt the same way. Only thing keeps me coming back to use percarbs is the safety issue, not as nasty. I often feel it doesn't do an adaquate job unless it is on lightly-neglected wood, not on the heavy, dark green and black decks. I think naoh at 1 or 2 oz would be fine for a cleaner in that amount.

Sodium Percarbonate has its place like anything else.. Very mild stripping with a ton of vegetation, cleaning a deck you sealed previously that does not need to be stripped are two I can think of. But I agree, if the deck has been grey for a long time or is heavy with mold, out comes the NaOH. It's faster, cheaper and I'm guessing in the right dilution, just as safe on the wood.

I think you nailed it.

Percarb is safer around vegetation than Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Hypochlorite and is safe for cleaning a finished surface.

Percarb is also safer around stained siding. You have to be careful with precarbs that contain TSP (such as Timber Clean and EFC-38 to name a few) as they will strip the siding stain even at weaker mix ratios.

As for Sodium Hydroxide - it's in most cleaning products including hand soaps.