Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Sodium percarbonate & Shurflo

A lot of us wood guys use sodium percarbonate based cleaners. To mix, you really need to use hot water to get it to dissolve into solution.

My problem is passing the hot mix through a Shurflo. Its got to be some kind of vapor lock or thermal problem as the pump pressure switch doesn't shut off & I get a lot of intermittent flow & have to prime.

This is a brand new replacement pump. Once the mix cools down, everything works normally. No problems with strippers or neutralizers which are mixed with cold water.

Any suggestions for a possible fix?

A lot of us wood guys use sodium percarbonate based cleaners. To mix, you really need to use hot water to get it to dissolve into solution.

My problem is passing the hot mix through a Shurflo. Its got to be some kind of vapor lock or thermal problem as the pump pressure switch doesn't shut off & I get a lot of intermittent flow & have to prime.

This is a brand new replacement pump. Once the mix cools down, everything works normally. No problems with strippers or neutralizers which are mixed with cold water.

Any suggestions for a possible fix?

In my experience percarbonate outgasses alot when mixed and will give you a good deal of "air" in the line resulting in a lost prime. I x-jet or pump spray mine.

or, mix it in cold water and stir more......works for us because I dont have hot onsite and never remember to mix it up before we hit the road.....or, just clean with bleach/soap and water....works good too.....(not trying to start the debate anything)

Tony,

I do have a large squeeze bulb on the unit for priming. I think Phillip may have hit on something concerning outgassing. May be temp. related but not directly. Possibly the sodium percarbonate creates a lot of byproduct gas initially because of the hot water used to mix. By the time the mix cools, a lot of the outgassing is finished. Guess an easy test would be to just try the Shurflo with plain hot water.

Mike,

Guess I'm impatient and don't like to stir forever. And I'm not touching the bleach debate!

Thanks.