Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

ever see this bad?

Question

I've never seen this bad a case of mold/mildew on a deck before.......I'll set up the scenario and please pass any ideas or expieriences on this way...

16 year old deck, mostly in the sun, neglected for years.....covered in mold/mildew that is so bad its actually hard and crispy....its almost like barnacles on a pier....really rough to the touch. at first glance it looks dirty and mildewy, but this is nasty.........a mix of bleach/water/soap barely loosened parts and most just laughed at this mixture........it really laughed at the stripper and the percarb........the only thing that got it was straight 10%, which I just did this test on the worse parts.......am I gonna have to drown this monster in straight chlorine ?????

11 answers to this question

I've seen lots of decks like this, I've even seen them with moss growing in the boards..lol In that case you might want to let your sodium hydroxide dwell a lot longer. If you use bleach be very careful!

Mike,

Treat that deck as though you're stripping. A longer dwell may be required, but you should be able to wash that deck with 5-600 psi with no problem.

If there is still mold left behind, a 6% chlorine application should take care of the rest, followed by another light wash.

I've never seen this bad a case of mold/mildew on a deck before.......

You should come visit some properties down here. Moss growing on wood is a common thing.

Try 150F H20 @ 3500psi applied via a hover. The wood might appreciate it.............JUST KIDDING!!!

Just like Mike said, longer dwell time and possible several applications.

We have actually had decks that you could play golf on (if you are into the game) with moss and mildew so bad it took a second application of efc after the wash to make sure the stuff was gone...what a mess!!!!!!

Rod~

MAN, I wish I had a camera with me today but I left it in the office. I estimated a deck today that had so much moss on it the grass seed the landscapers laid out actually started growing on the deck!! LOL

Some of the wood is completed rotted out and needs to be replace but it should be an interesting before and after pic if we do the job!

thanks everyone......

this isnt mossy or thick and spongey, its hard like its been in a fire...really nasty. and the grass is beautiful, so it was wetter than wet before we started. the deck is surrounded by those Hosta plants, those things are pretty much indestructable....I have them at home and have tried kilkling them and I cant..lol

anyway, we'll tackle this thing next week if the weather holds....

thanks again folks

Mike,

I can tell by the pics what you're up against. Strip it with your normal Naoh based stripper and you'll be pleased by how it works.

Anything left behind is easily wacked with a light bleach application. Now I'm not normally a bleach-head, but it's fast and sweet for such a task. Sodium percarb takes too long in my opinion.

Don't forget a nice acid bath afterwards. (for the wood,not you...:) )

the deck is surrounded by those Hosta plants, those things are pretty much indestructable....I have them at home and have tried kilkling them and I cant..lol

You know Hostas are pretty easy to transfer. You just take your shovel and cut the whole darn plant in half or in quarters, dig it up, break it apart and you'll have 20 Hostas to transplant. They look nice too. You can do the same with Lyriope (tall grassy looking plants).