Sign in to follow this  
Onthespot

Mud Daubers

Question

In the south we call them "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers"... I think up north they are known simply as "mud wasps". They are solitary wasps that build these cylindrical nests out of mud. For a picture of one of these nests see the following link: http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/MudDauberNest01.jpg

Last week I did a 2 story vinyl on Lake Chatuge here in Western NC. When we hit the eaves - which happened to have all those perforated holes - red mud just started pouring out of them.

Apparently there were lots of these nests built up under the eaves... No matter how much we sprayed, the mud just continued pouring out of there. The home owner was more than understanding... But I wasn't satisfied with leaving a house with brown stains on the eaves.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem before, and how did you handle it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tom V. (On The Spot Pressure Washing)

2 answers to this question

I don't think I've run into the dirt dauber problem inside the vinyl eaves, but I have had that problem with the fake shutters attached to the side of the house. You keep rinsing and the mud just keeps flowing.

In the south we call them "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers"... I think up north they are known simply as "mud wasps". They are solitary wasps that build these cylindrical nests out of mud. For a picture of one of these nests see the following link: http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/MudDauberNest01.jpg

Last week I did a 2 story vinyl on Lake Chatuge here in Western NC. When we hit the eaves - which happened to have all those perforated holes - red mud just started pouring out of them.

Apparently there were lots of these nests built up under the eaves... No matter how much we sprayed, the mud just continued pouring out of there. The home owner was more than understanding... But I wasn't satisfied with leaving a house with brown stains on the eaves.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem before, and how did you handle it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tom V. (On The Spot Pressure Washing)

I have had good luck using oxalic acid on the stains. We have dirt dobers bad around here. If I have that problem I usually come back later on in the day or the next morning, after the house has dried most of the way and spray a little oxalic on the stains. The only color I have had this problem on is white.