Sign in to follow this  
Claude Hawkins

Shurflo Hose

Question

I've done a search in order to build a Shurflo pump rig.

From what I can tell, some of you use 1/4" poly-braid hose and some prefer 3/8" for a 1.8 gpm 60 psi pump.

Does the smaller diameter give more pressure or higher lift? Does the larger give more gpm?

Why do you choose one over the other?

Thanks.

Claude

4 answers to this question

I would definitely say go with the 3/8" hose. One thing that would determine what size poly braid hose to use would be where you plan to mount the shurflo. If you plan to mount the system on your rig then you would probably want to run at least 200' of hose to the wand, so in that case, the 3/8" would be a must. If cart mounting the shurflo where maybe 100' of hose is required you could probably get away with the 1/4".

I use the 1.8 gpm shurflo on a daily basis for cleaning roofs and I run 200' of 3/8". The pressure is fine even when applying 30' high. I think the 1/4" would be way to restrictive.

I use the 1/4" hose, 200' of it and it will also pump up about 30' in the air. I'm not sure which would give better volume though. CCPC says the 3/8" does but I haven't compared the two next to each other. I'm using the smaller hose so I could use a smaller reel and I allready had the 1/4 hose...

Lance & Henry,

Excellent and detailed responses. Thanks.

This is a bit of a quandary, since I’ve developed a respect for both of you while reading your posts in the archives. It’s obvious that you both know your business well.

It sounds like I could go either way and get good results, which, by itself, is good news.

I’m going to build Don Phelp’s lance in the next few days because there is a lot of roof business here. My concern was getting a good flow up to the roofs. That concerned is resolved. I also plan to use the pump for applying soap to delicate areas of the house.

I’ll check prices and make a decision this week. I'll definitely get 200'.

Thanks again.

Claude