Sign in to follow this  
The Rob

Failed Sherwin Williams Product

Question

I went and looked at this 16x16 deck Friday to see about stripping it. The home owner applied Sherwin Williams Deckscapes waterborne product on Memorial day 2005. The deck it self was built in August 2004 with the house. The deck looks terrible, like it was done 3-4 years ago with Behr or something along that line of crap. Sherwin Williams has offered to supply the stripper for free, so they are at least taking some action on it. My question is would you go with S W stripper or is there something that will work better? There is a poured patio underneath with colored concrete, so what would be the concerns with that? There is also alot of landscaping around it, so what stripper for that?I have attached some pictures to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

post-48-137772144025_thumb.jpg

post-48-137772144031_thumb.jpg

post-48-137772144038_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

That is a mess there Rob that waterborne stuff is just that water!

That stuff will come off easy with a S/H stripper then brighten.Wet everything down first and keep wetting.You can cover the plants with plastic till you finish with your strong chems.Uncover them if it takes a while or they will burn in the HOT sun.

What stain are you use after you strip it?

Brian Keating sells a good stripper @ www.deckguide.com

That is a mess there Rob that waterborne stuff is just that water!

That stuff will come off easy with a S/H stripper then brighten.Wet everything down first and keep wetting.You can cover the plants with plastic till you finish with your strong chems.Uncover them if it takes a while or they will burn in the HOT sun.

What stain are you use after you strip it?

Brian Keating sells a good stripper @ www.deckguide.com

ditto to everything above !!!!

the patio underneath will be fine, soak it with water and keep it wet before, during and after........Ive never used the SW stripper, but its probably DIY garbage.........see if they'll keep their stripper and give you dropclothes or brushes of equal value.......

What do you think caused it to do that? Something in the wood? Something wrong with that batch of product? The guy said that the regional rep of SW was out from K.C. and had never seen anything like it either. The guy said that was the way it looked just as soon as it dried. I plan on talking to SW myself, but I used the waterborne product from SW about three years ago, and it turned out looking really good! I used it one time because I didn't like how it went on, but the customer loved it. When I talked to her last fall she said it looked as good as it did when it first was applied. I told this guy that I was going to post it and see what some of the ideas were for what caused it, so any ideas along that line would be helpful.

Thanks, Robert

Ph.? I doubt it but this is what the Primeshop says about it.

Water-based Sealants

Control of wood pH (alkalinity or acidity) is the single major element in preparing for use of a water-based finish. High alkalinity (base, high pH) may cause milkiness in the finish. High acidity (acid, low pH) may cause segregation of mixed components and result in loose granules on the surface, or may cause premature loosening and flaking/peeling of the finish. In either case, the finish was damaged at the time it was applied

One thing that didn't help is the obvious crappy application technique..or thats what it looks like to me by the "padding tracks".

I agree. It looks like bad prep work (did not rinse enough and/or neutralize) and bad finish application (looks like a very young kid worked on it).

Deckscape is not a BAD product. Prep work is crucial to all wood restoration. The homeowner missed the boat on this one and has no one to blame but themselves. I think SW is very generous to offer anything at all.

If you can't get SW to give you brushes or other things, take the stripper (never turn down FREE stuff). You may not want to use it on this application - save it for another job that requires less strength.