Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Stripping CWF

Question

I do not have any experience stripping this stuff but a guy applied this to his small deck and about 40 steps with railing about a year ago. I think he applied it over grey wood and it looks almost black in many areas ( the worst job I have ever seen)The thing is this stuff looks shiny and waxy and I was wondering how difficult this will be to strip ( it still repels water). He showed me the can and it says that it is a clear but the sealer looks pigmented to me. I cant believe how smooth and waxy the wood feels to the touch. I bidded it at $1300 plus stain ( he agreed to try wood defender as a first time client) but told him that I will need to see if I can strip this stuff first. I have PressureTeks stripper. Is this job a lost cause? Sorry but I didnt take any pics yet.

7 answers to this question

F-18 should strip it, but you'll have to get advice from someone more experienced than I with their product to tell you the ratios. Here is some advice--when you can tell that a deck has been refinished improperly, the stain will either come off really really easy or really really hard, and I've not found the correlation as to which causes which. Not really helpful advice, I know, but the lesson is to do a test on the wood. Personally, I am not much of a tester. My theory is that worst case scenerio, I use twice as much stripper as expected and it costs an extra $25, and that is cheaper than me screwing with a demo for an hour. I am lazy like that--but if you are smart you'll do a test. If it looks unique to me, I still test. BTW, your price sounds fine....you say it is small etc. Should be an easy job, worse-case you strip once, go to lunch (wood dry) and come back and strip again, and it should be good as new. Should be in the budget.

jnoden,

you are going to have to experiment with the ratio, start out with at least 40 ounces in a 5 gallon. Being that the CWF is only a year old the bond is still intact, so dwell time will be at least 20 to 30 minutes. You can expect major fuzzies so be prepared to do some defurring. I removed 3 coats of CWF on a deck last year and had to go up to 64 ounces to remove it. It can be done, but remember, chemicals clean/strip, water rinses. Let the chems work and you can get this done.

Also, when you order Wood Defender, ask for the new formulation on Wood Defender Deck stain. This new formulation ws just done in the last 2 weeks. So ask for it specifically.

reed

Mark, in Arizona and I, got with Todd and Brent and their chemist. We had complaints about the old deck formula flash drying. They have incresed the amount of parafinic oil slightly and this should help decrease the flash. I am getting a sample today, hopefully to try. I used the old formula on my deck, great color, but you could over apply-better to spray than pad-did show lap marks. Mark, has had the opportunity to work first hand with WD and he says they have fixed this. We will see. The bright cedar color is just plain awesome. Will let you know how it works out.

reed

Reed,

I talked to Tood last week and he told me the same thing. I haven't had the flashing problem but increasing the amount of oil should make it even better. Have you tried the Harvest Brown yet? Very close the Ready Seal Light Brown. Is the Bright Cedar light then Light Brown? One last question, did you use it on Cedar or PT?

Used it on cedar. The bright cedar color is awesome. I got a 5'ver of leather wood and will be using it next week. Can't wait to see it. Bright cedar looks just like a natural new cedar board.

reed