Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Generator will not stay running

Hello Everyone,

Before I take my generator to the shop I thought maybe someone here has had the same problem and could help me. My generator will not stay on for more than 5 or 10 minutes and then shuts off. I can re- start it and the same thing on and on. The spark plug is ok, I checked the fuel tank for trash or something blocking the fuel and it is ok, I changed the fuel filter and it did not look bad either. The Generator is a Coleman 10hp 5000 watt. The motor is a Briggs. Thanks for any help.

Hello Everyone,

Before I take my generator to the shop I thought maybe someone here has had the same problem and could help me. My generator will not stay on for more than 5 or 10 minutes and then shuts off. I can re- start it and the same thing on and on. The spark plug is ok, I checked the fuel tank for trash or something blocking the fuel and it is ok, I changed the fuel filter and it did not look bad either. The Generator is a Coleman 10hp 5000 watt. The motor is a Briggs. Thanks for any help.

How's your oil level? I'm not sure if your's is equiped as such, but most of these engines have a low oil shut off built in.

Yes I will post to all the boards. That is very observant on your part. I guess you would only know that if you visit them also. I ask around to get different opinions and points of view. There are a lot of people out there that are willing to help and a lot of times they are busy out there working and I give them a lot of time to help as I am fairly new to the business. It really helps a lot when people post suggestions and try to help instead of just posting to post. I am also busy trying to make money and sometimes do not get back to post that often but I do appreciate the helpful people out there that I have learned a lot from and are willing to share their valuable knowledge and experience. I have not had time to work on my generator in the past few days but thanks to the helpful people on the boards, I have a lot of things to try and check. A Big Thanks to Bob at Pressure Tek as he called me yesterday and had some suggestions for my problem. He is very helpful. He gives me some great advice whenever I call him and has some really great products.

A Big Thanks to Bob at Pressure Tek as he called me yesterday and had some suggestions for my problem. He is very helpful. He gives me some great advice whenever I call him and has some really great products.

I second that.

Well I finally got around to working on the generator and the Fuel cap is O.K., The oil level is O.K. and still clean, The Spark Plug is O.K., The Air Filter was a little dirty so I replaced it but it still turns off. The Spark Plug Wire looks good, Nothing looks out of the ordinary, I went to get gaskets to take off the carburetor but something is funny about the diagram the mechanic has in relation to the numbers on the machine. On his diagram the fuel bowl below the carburetor is held up by a bolt and mine is held up by two screws on opposite sides of each other. I could not get the screws loose. I was going to remove the whole carburetor and when you take the nuts off the studs, the ends of the studs are like stars or torx and I did not have a socket to fit these which were very small to get the studs out to remove the carburetor. Looks like time to get some special tools or take the trailer to the shop next weekend (the generator is bolted to the trailer). Any suggestions? Thanks.