Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Rogue contractors

Question

Ok, this is a pet peeve of mine. Last week there were a couple of contractors going through our neighborhood, soliciting door-to-door to see if homeowners wanted to have their driveways resurfaced. The tags on the truck were from Tennessee. We're in Maryland. The main guy approached home owners as they pulled into their driveways after getting home from work, then hit them up for business. I stood watching from across the street. One of the owners they approached, had thier driveway professional done about a week prior, and they still approached her - they didn't know enough to be able to tell! The other owner they approached, had it done a year ago.

After a tornado hit our area a couple years back, we had people driving in from West Virginia to take down trees, (very scarry - they had no clue about how to do it, they just did it) and remove debris (this part, ok...).

I guess there are contractors who are sort of akin to ambulance chasers... just a pet peeve of mine. Anyone else seen this? Got stories?

Beth

31 answers to this question

I'm not sure things work the same as they do here, in FL, but talk to your state licensing department. You just may be eligible for WC Excemption. If so, the HOA's will accept it.

In Louisiana, the law states that the owner of a biz does not have to be covered by Workman's Comp. BUT, the property owner/paying customer CAN still require you to have w/c. It's there call. I called my lawyer about it, he said they can require you to have any kind of insurance they want. Around here, I am finding out that property owners are really just trying to protect there ****** from frivilous lawsuits. Workman's Comp. in Louisiana is very expensive, especially for construction/service biz like p/w. The rates are at about 30% of your payroll. It's hard to pay that when you're just a one man op.

I know that in other states it's the same situation. It chaps my ass when I hear about & see unlicensed/uninsured contractors in any biz getting work. I had a tree cut down & removed about 3 years ago, three contractors could not provide me with the proper insurance papers. One smart ass guy got kinda hostile w/ me when he told me he had insurance, but when I told him to have his insurance co. fax me a certificate of insurance, he told me that they don't do that. I argued w/ him that they would & should if he told them to. Needless to say, I told where to stick his chain saw, get the hell out of here. Lots of companies show people insurance papers, but they have not paid their monthly premiums in months, so the policy has lapsed.......so beware.

We've made it a policy to have our certificates of insurance to be sent to EVERYONE we do work for (I'm at least making my agent earn my premiums) We even had them issued to See Dirt Run when we went up to work with Beth & Rod. If we're just doing an estimate package, they get a copy of both GL and WC showing limits and coverage periods - paid in full.

Celeste

When I used to bid I always without fail attached a copy of cert. of insurance and business lic.

Even if it was a one time job which I seldom would bid for. I found when dealing with the type of accounts I had if you offer that with your bid it shows your more professional then your compeitors.

Most wait till asked before offering so you just beat them to it.

If I am not mistaken almost all types of government jobs require Workers' Comp.

The Feds don't if it is under $2000, they require nothing. If it is over $2000 they require G.L., W.C., and prevailing rate wage for all workers.