Sign in to follow this  
MeiersEnterprises

Taking Private Land for Private Businesses

Question

As many of you know, the Supreme Court ruled it to be ok for the govt to take away private homes and land to develop commercial properties in order to specifically increase the tax revenue in a particular city.

This has bothered me so much! This is a huge problem for all of us because once you go down this road, it will never stop. Huge corporations will take over! It's one thing to build a stadium and take a few homes with compensation, or widen a road and take some land, but this new ruling has dire effects on all of us.

Basically, if WalMart looked on the map and saw the perfect spot for a store, they can petition to take that land from anyone who lives or works there just because WalMart could bring in more taxes if it existed in that spot.

As I'm reading this morning, I came across this artice:

http://www.freestarmedia.com/hotellostliberty2.html

This is awesome! Someone in New Hampshire is going after Justice Souter's land. Souter was a supporter and voted for the land steeling act and I hope to God (for every American's sake) that they take his land and build a hotel called "The Lost Freedom Hotel". The hotel will include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America.

They should setup a pre-guest registration form on the net to prove how popular it would be for their city.

The Best Part: There are only 5 people on the board who can decide the fate of Souter's home. It only takes 3 to be convinced and The Lost Freedom Hotel will be in business!

66 answers to this question

Someone always uses this excuse. Drives me insane. That's the Ostrich putting his head in the sand mentality. What's the answer, sit back, do nothing, let the best country in the world go to sh%$...?

Under this new law, even if you had a mud hut and a mule here in the US, you could be FORCED to sell YOUR MUD HUT (that you built with your own hands) to build a bank or a grocery store or a convenience store or a hotel just because that company justified to the city that they could bring in more tax dollars for the town. See the point?

Yes, I see the point, Ive always seen the point and I understand quite well...I wasnt making excuses. I guess you could vote for the right politicians, or grab a paper sign and stand on the side of the road asking for people who agree to honk their horns....and after that doesn't work, maybe the answer is to do as our forefathers did, exercise your second amendment right, take up arms, form a militia and take on the government.....see where that'll land ya :cool:

and after that doesn't work, maybe the answer is to do as our forefathers did, exercise your second amendment right, take up arms, form a militia and take on the government.....see where that'll land ya :cool:

That's always an option, though it would take a HUGE uprising to accomplish anything. Let's hope it never comes to that.

exercise your second amendment right, take up arms, form a militia and take on the government.....see where that'll land ya :cool:

Our second amendments rights were written when the people had access to the same weapons as the government. It's purpose was to ensure the ability of the people to defend themselves from the government. That ended with the development of WMD's (which can't practically be privately owned) and since then has been slowly perverted to mean that the people may not own weapons capable of more than hunting and self defense.

And before the arguments about the 2nd amendments original purpose start, let me offer a little remembered quote from our forefathers own pen(s).

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another [snip]

all men are created [snip] are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. [snip]

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Anyone care to guess where that came from?

Soon law abiding citizens will not be allowed to buy ammo, or guns for that matter

This from a Kalifornian? Bet you aren't too popular in your neck of the woods.

1st amendment, 2nd amendment, all of them are being changed or removed and our freedoms slowly taken from us. [snip] once that happens turn the clock back a century and half.

Nahhh. Just 65 years or so. Different continent, differenet language, same end result.

This from a Kalifornian? Bet you aren't too popular in your neck of the woods.

It is not me that is not popular it is a couple of lady politicians. Most of my neighbors are on the same side of the 2nd amendment as I am. The good law abiding side.

And I will not willingly give up my toys, period.

California and New York have to worst (sic) elected officials on record for being anti-gun.

Don't want to start a thread on 2nd amendment/guns as we all know it is hashed out weekly in state capitols.

Besides it takes this thread more away from what it started out to be.

Our second amendments rights were written when the people "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another [snip]

all men are created [snip] are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. [snip]

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Anyone care to guess where that came from?

Nicholas Cage in National Treasure!!!

Scott

BZZZZT. Strike one for the Scott family. Two more and the Smith family gets a chance to steal.

Hint: It was written the last time the American people got pissed off enough to "throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

BZZZZT. Strike one for the Scott family. Two more and the Smith family gets a chance to steal.

Hint: It was written the last time the American people got pissed off enough to "throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

I'm sure some know where that came from, but it's a shame you have to ask. What are the schools teaching???

Nicholas Cage in National Treasure!!!

Scott

nice guess.......not a bad flick either,

my guess is Thomas Jefferson, July 4, 1776........Declaration of Independance, signed by the 56 reps of the 13 United States....... :cool:

You know, why don't we hear Michael Moore out there making a mocumentary of this stuff? I would love for him to confront politicians on their reasoning for allowing one person to obtain property from another by force.

Down here in southern/middle GA land is almost sacred.It is passed on generation to generation to ensure the family will always have something.My own great, great,great grandfather has left a thousand acres of land to his great,great,great grandchildren and everyone in the family is in accordance to his wishes.So far no-one has ever needed it to sell to stay afloat.We take care of each other to prevent that from happening.Hate to think what would happen if some-one decided to take it for a strip mall or whatever.When he purchased it this town wasnt even a town,but now the land is surrounded by interstate.We are getting nervous.The taxes we pay for the land is more than he originally paid for it.Think about that!

I think land taxes are insane. At worst, they should be grandfathered in based on the original purchase date so someone could grow old there without going broke. My family had a beautiful estate on the FL intercoastal waterway where I grew up (almost an acre). My parents were forced to sell it because the taxes increased so significantly. It went up so high, they actually had to take out a mortgage to pay the taxes until the land sold. It killed my stepfather of a heart attack (literally). That was about 15 years ago - the property just sold again last year for 4.2M. Our taxes 15 yrs ago were $9,000 per year on a $400K property. They are about $90,000+ per year now. How could my parents EVER have stayed there on their savings??? I would have inherited that home and land for MY children... Instead, my mom is a widow and she's scraping by (while working). Just another example of the govt sucking the life out of individuals rights...

I think land taxes are insane. At worst, they should be grandfathered in based on the original purchase date so someone could grow old there without going broke. My family had a beautiful estate on the FL intercoastal waterway where I grew up (almost an acre). My parents were forced to sell it because the taxes increased so significantly. It went up so high, they actually had to take out a mortgage to pay the taxes until the land sold. It killed my stepfather of a heart attack (literally). That was about 15 years ago - the property just sold again last year for 4.2M. Our taxes 15 yrs ago were $9,000 per year on a $400K property. They are about $90,000+ per year now. How could my parents EVER have stayed there on their savings??? I would have inherited that home and land for MY children... Instead, my mom is a widow and she's scraping by (while working). Just another example of the govt sucking the life out of individuals rights...

Agreed! My parents bought a 2 bedroom 1500 sq. ft. home on a small canal in Crystal River for $400k...The taxes went from about $4k/year based on the prior purchase price of $150k, to $9k/year based on their purchase price. It's crazy. They're paying $750.00/month just in property taxes, more than I pay for entire mortgage, taxes, and insurance. It's nuts.

www.fairtax.org