Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

backup water tank size

I'm still trying to decide how to go about setting up a back up water tank for a 5.5 gpm machine, but I'm having a hard time deciding what size tank I should go with.

I'm pretty certain that most of the homes in this area put out at least 5 gpm. Which leaves maybe .5 gpm that I will have to compensate for. I was thinking that I would probably be fine with as little as a 15 g tank, but not sure.

Also, will the lack of gravity feed on a smaller tank be a problem for the pump on the pressure washer to acheive the proper amount of intake flow?

Hello,

I have a 325 gallon tank on my trailer. I have come up on all kinds of scenarios with the water pressure from homes and businesses. I have had some that it has taken hours to fill my tank and others that do it in 30 minutes. I have had some that will keep up with my machine and others that I will have to idle the machine for the tank to catch up so I do not run out of water. I would think that at least 200 gallons would be good for your machine. My machine puts out 5.6gpm and 3000psi and it will empty the tank in about 45 minutes without any water going in. I always have at least 100 gallons in it when I pull up to the job so I can get started sooner. I have friends that have 100 gallon tanks and wish they had bigger tanks because most of the time they have to slow down to let the tank fill up. A lot of homes have good water pressure but when they have small lines it slows the volume down quite a bit. I use 3/4" hose to fill the tank so there is never a restriction on my part. I also have a shutoff valve at the top of my tank where the water goes in so I can block it there instead of going to the house to block it unless I am already there. Another benefit of a bigger tank is from far away you can see the level where if you have a smaller tank you might not be able to see the level of water and could risk running your pump dry if not constantly watching the water tank. Next year I will be getting a 500 gallon tank and possibly a newer trailer with stronger axles. In my garage I can only fit a 14' trailer so I cannot get a longer one but I can get one with stronger axles and fit the bigger tank and still keep all my stuff on it. Hope this helps.