Sign in to follow this  
glock40

blotty deck

Question

Hello all, I stained a deck last week pressure treated wood and it had cabots solid bluestone gray on it. I washed the deck hd-80 and neutrilize it , looks great after that. Well I applied the Sikkens Cape cod gray and boy this thing came out very blotty in certain areas. Looks heavy and light.

Any suggestions as to fixing this mess?

6 answers to this question

You say it's blotty? Is the stain adhesion to the wood good, or is it discoloration type of blotty? What about the moisture of the wood when it was stained, did you test for that? I would have to go w/ what Shane said, probably not mixed well. Any more details or pics you can give?

Suggestions for fixing this mess = How much HD 80 and acid do you have left?

Sounds to me like there was some of the old stain not completely removed. When you applied the semi-trans stain, it absorbed at different rates.

You'll need to look closely at the "blotty" areas. With careful observation you may be able to see what went wrong.

Do you have any pictures?

Sounds to me like there was some of the old stain not completely removed. When you applied the semi-trans stain, it absorbed at different rates.

Those were my thoughts also when a old stain is not removed completely it will leave the deck looking uneven.

Guys I will have to take a few pics, but I washed this deck twice. I am sure I removed the old solid stain on it. But man this one really got the best of me. How about sanding the spots that look heavy with the stain?

Any suggestions on that?

I tell ya, I've been using Sikkens SRD all season and, for some reason, the past 3 decks I've done have had call backs with unhappy customers claiming there were spots that looked light. Weird, It didn't happen all year, I'm guessing the heat is making the stain flash dry and not sink in certain spots. I've went back and sprayed the light areas and rubbed it in. Am I right?