Sign in to follow this  
sparklingclean

Briggs and Stratton Warranty issue

Ok.

Here is my problem. I am using a briggs and stratton 10hp 4 gpm 3300psi machine I bought 7 months ago.

I have been in business since the first of the year. I have probably done about 50 jobs.

I am meticulous about maintaining my equipment so I have changed the oil in both the pump and the engine more than I needed to.

I also ALWAYS check the oil b4 I start operating.

Last week I am out on a job and after washing a pool deck I come around the corner an notice my engine/pump is now sitting at an angle on the cart. I shut down the unit and see that my two front engine mounts have sheared off.

Well I dont have much left do at the job so I put a brick under the unit to keep it level and finished the house. About a half hours work. When I tried to restart the unit I couldnt not pull the cord. The engine was totally siezed.

So take to an authorized warranty repair place and after a week this clown tells me I ran the unit out of oil. He said I tried to cover this fact up because he found fresh oil on top. THIS IS TOTAL BS. I would never have done that and cant fathom why he would say this or arrive at this conclusion.

So here I am out 900 bucks with no warrenty on a blown engine.

Any suggestions???

Do you have a rotary style pump or a four bolt direct drive pump?

Remove the pump and try starting the engine.

If it cranks purchase a new direct drive pump for $200-250.

A picture would help if you are not sure of the pump type.

its a Annovi Reverberi Triplex Plunger Pump and yes its the 4 bolt kind.

So even though this guy is telling me that the engine is blown and has metals shavings in it you still think it may be the pump?

Depending on how steep of an angle the machine was sitting, the engine may have starved for oil even though there was plenty in it. If the oil was way over to one side, the dipper on the connecting rod may not have been able to reach it. You may be able to take the issue to the distributor from whom you bought the unit, as the mounts breaking may have caused your problem. AND for $900.00 you can get a Honda 13 hp, and have money left for lunch and beer.

Based on what you a saying now it may be toast. I thought you may have had the rotary type pump.

Russ has given you great advice to follow. If you purchase another machine make sure it has a low sensor on it.

Thanks for the advice. I purchsed this unit from amazon so I dont know what help they can give me but I did contact Briggs. They are sending a tech out to look at the unit and offer another opinion since I dont like what the repair center told me. I will see how that goes. Maybe if that doesnt work I will contact amazon and see if they can help.

At this point I have decided to buy the honda/cat system. But I still would like to get this unit fixed so I have a backup.