Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

Wood Tux Western Cedar... Anyone have any to spare??

Question

Hello all...

I NEED HELP!! I have a situation where I stained a customers deck yesterday and ran out of the WoodTux Western Cedar. I was so sure I would have enough but I still have the steps to do and to do a thin 2nd layer to even it all out since it was a really hot day and the sealer soaked right in.

I need about 2 to 2.5 gallons of this and would appreciate anyone helping me out. I told customer to give me a week.

Thanks!!

11 answers to this question

Brian,

I'm not sure you will find that color anywhere.

Get your hands on Sikkens SRD, Cedar. The color is close, and the finish appearance is too. You may have to go over it with a light coat where you have already sealed to get it to blend.

Beth

Beth...

Got your message and I appreciate it. The closest Sikkens Dealer here is 25 miles out of the way, but will be worth it in this situation.

I'm curious, should we explain to the homeowner that we have to apply a different product and to explain how they are very similar as well as compatible?

Im thinking that since it is just the bare steps I have to do and then a thin layer over the rest of the surface that the color difference (if any) will not be noticeable?

The floor area is about 500 sq. ft. The Railings were done in a Cabots Oil Solid Stain. Since I know that the Sikkens SRD covers 200 - 400 sq. ft. per gallon, how many gallons (1 or 2) do you think I need to finish my 500 Sq. ft area (the steps and a thin layer over the rest of the surface?)

I've never used Sikkens and would like to know how much I would need.

Meanwhile.. I am still waiting to hear if I can get lucky and someone has some old woodtux western cedar laying around.

Thanks!

why can't you just call and order some more WT red cedar??

I'd get four gallons of SRD, or even five. Better to return than not have enough. With 500sf left to do, you could easily be down in the 100-200sf per gal. range, so expect it to be low.

Jon,

ESI didn't blend Western Cedar this season.

Closest product will be the SRD Cedar.

Brian, look at the coverage on the lable. Depends onthe deck, and it's hard to say without seeing the boards or knowing the condition of them or their age... Got a pic you can share?

Beth

Here are some pictures... Before, After and with the WoodTux. The woodtux picture was taken while wet. I need to go over this surface with another coat which will probably turn out to be Sikkens SRD and on the can it says that one gallon covers 200-400 sq.ft.

The steps are not shown in the picture but they are stripped and bare like the middle picture.

*Some of you may recall the thread I posted on here where I was saying this woman was the most unfriendly we have encountered and was the one who was on the phone when we got there and it was pouring rain out while we had our 2 year old daughter with us. This is THE deck and she is very pleased with the results and is very happy.* This is the thread... http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3781

post-599-137772144812_thumb.jpg

post-599-137772144819_thumb.jpg

post-599-137772144826_thumb.jpg

If you stain the bare areas to match the color to whats already stained and put a light coat on all of it, the color may end up not matching anyway and you may need two different colors. The floor thats already done might get too dark.

....Too complicated. If you don't really NEED another coat on the floor why not just match up to whats already there?

I had no idea that they weren't going to make it anymore. I wasn't aware that they are never going to make it again? Is this true? Or is it just this year? This was why I was hoping someone had some old stain laying around that I could use. I was under the assumption that WoodTux was a great product that was pretty new and I didn't expect it to stop producing.

I heard from someone else that TWP Redwood is a very close match in a pinch with the Western Cedar. It does look like I'm more with the Teak from Sikkens. Anybody know about TWPs compatibility with WoodTux?

Customer thinks the boards are too light and wants another coat over it. Remember the picture was taken while still wet.

Beth

I have sent more than one email to Russ about the Tint kit, and have never gotten an answer to my questions. When I talked to Sun Brite they said they had no idea when it would be. I too needed some more Western Cedar and couldn't get it. Turned out the customer canceled the seal job. Not sure whats going on with ESI and its none of my business, I'll just find other products to use. Pressure Teks products are good and close to the same formulation as ESI's. I know they are not the same but when you can't get the product gotta go with what you can get.