Sign in to follow this  
C & T Pressure Washing

should i buy the x-jet????????

Hello everyone new to the board. Thinking of buying the x-jet to wash houses. my question is after you apply the soap can you wash the house with the x-jet from the ground, and get all the dirt off. (that would be a 2 story house) I'm using an extended wand now that goes 24ft up, very heavy when extended all the way up. And as you all know bends like crazy. PLZ HELP, WOULD IT BE WORTH BUYING THE X-JET AND SUCCESFULLY CLEAN A 2 STORY HOUSE FROM THE GROUND getting older hard to hold that *&^*% pole all day thank you for any comments chuck

I recommend the use of the X-Jet (or equivalent).

Keep the extension wand, a long 16ft extension pole for brushing the stubborn stains on facia boards and some 2nd story gutters.

Purchase a spare close range nozzle ($11.95).

Test the X-Jet and Close Range nozzle to check ratio results with your equipment.

Learn to calculate ratios for your set-up (and ditch the proportioner kit supplied with the X-Jet).

You'll never look back.

Perssonally, I think the frustration level is higher and time spent is longer changing out a proportioner than calculating a ratio.

I admit it does take some time to learn how to calculate it, but once you know it makes you a bit smarter and allows you more flexibility.

But, let me list a few of my reasons. (These aren't in any specific order.)

1) I think as a professional P/W, you (as in general you) should know how to calculate ratios. This power will provide you the ability to make changes in your chemical mix at any time, any place without the need for tools or parts (other than pencil & paper). Of course, you could always have a cheat sheet with all the ratios calculated for your favorite chemicals, but that would be a lot of work.

2) Not all mix ratios are covered in the kit so you end up making a compromise if you want a ratio that is not there. (I know this sounds picky, but I don't like to have a piece of equipment limit my flexability).

3) The pieces are very small and easy to lose. If you don't learn to calculate, what happens if you lose one? You have to wait til another is shipped to you. It could be especially bad if you lost one just before a job. (Again, I know I'm picky, because you could just insert the next size and be done with it.)

4) Changing the proportioners is not the easiest task to perform, especially if you needed to do it on a job site. (Remove the hose clamp, pull off the tube, remove the piece with needle-noze pliers, look on your chart, get a different color out - is this light brown, or medium brown?, install it, push the hose on the barb, install & tighten hose clamp.) The parts are tiny and again I'll say easy to lose. Now all this really doesn't sound like much of a chore until you experience it first hand.

5) If you have more than one machine and they are different GPM's the ratios will be different and could cause confusion (this is probably not that big of an issue for most folks, but may be for a few).

6) It's just another part to wear out. Minimize your spare parts.

OK, maybe you shouldn't pitch the kit because none of the above items are an issue for you, but I still think it's a good idea to know how to calculate ratios.

I agree with you about knowing how to calculate the ratios, Ionly asked the question to get your take on the whole thing. It's nice to know that some people are able to back up their statements with knowledge and speak from experience.

why wont someone just build what everyone want's?

A duel hose.

One R-1 pressure hose with a light weight 3/8th's hose attached.

Make it 200 ft long and have a shur-flo 12 volt pump that push's the chem to the injector?

You can build this set-up for about $150 plus the cost of the pressure hose. $75 at e-spec.

HOUSEWASHING SYSTEM.

Second thing

get rid of the stupid proportioner's and have get rid of the $2 shut-off valve and put a DEMA valve on it.

The valve will open to diffent degree's and meter the flow.

Third is getting rid of the hanging supply line and pipe it in like a weird duel lance.

One pipe running to the back of the x-jet and the other to the bottom supply.

Both go back to the gun and the 2 lines connect where the reg wand connect's.

This is all called 2-STEPPING EQUIPMENT[you will need to modify it a little] but is all stock stuff.

Where their is a will, their is a way.

We were washing a 3 story home in a rural area Saturday. One of the neighbors drove by and stopped to watch us, using the X-jet. The wife told us they bought a pressure washer at Lowes earlier this spring and was a complete waste of money. She said it won't even wash their 1st. story. They were so impressed we got a pretty good job doing everything they tried to wash.

Buy the X-Jet, you won't regret it!

Good Luck,

Bob Warfield

Ron P.,

An area of challange to overcome with the dual hose set-up would be making a dual feed hose reel. Two hoses rolling up on 1 reel need water and chemical handling capability in the rotary union and at the connection point. It can be done, but would be a special - unless you know someone that makes a stock one.

Unless the Dema valve can shut off totally, you would still need the ball valve (I wish they were only $2). Relocating the valve closer to the trigger for easier access would be helpful.

The hanging tube is a pain in the butt and could be modified with a 45 or 90 fitting to have it follow the wand path back. Testing may show if there is any vortex issues with the 45 or 90.

I'm not sure how a vortex would interface with a Shur-flo feed - you would most definitely need to overfeed the X-Jet so you're not starving it.

Keep the ideas coming!

Bob,

I can relate to your story as I run across similar ones from time to time.

I hang out at Lowe's and Home Depot a lot and every time I see someone buying a P/W I give them one of my cards. I tell them they can call me with any questions without an obligation. I get funny looks, but I do get calls from time to time. Some are by men, more are by women and a few actually have rolled over to be jobs.

Anything higher than a ranch is a sinch. The other closer is the gutter cleaning demo. I carry photos with me for times when a hands on demo is not possible. I have made up some business cards with demo photos on the back. Most folks don't use the back of their cards, but I think it's wasted space if you don't have some kind of message on there.

One of these days I'll take a bunch of flyers from HD and staple my cards inside, then put them back into the display slots - but that would be considered "too guerilla" wouldn't it.

I love happy endings, don't you?

www.xterior.com

Paul, you would have a QD at the shur-flow pump by the reel.

just pop it off and roll-up the line.

I think force feeding the supply to the x-jet would give a higher chem ratio then trying to draw chem. You sure like testing. Why not give this a shot when you get a min?

Glenn has a downstreamer and shur-flo hooked together and get's a higher draw rate.

They do make a 2 stepping machine. So i'll assume they have a reel.

www.mobileclean.com

The QD was in my mind also, I was trying to see if you could avoid having to unroll all of the hose every time, but now that I think about it we almost always use most of the 200ft of hose on the high pressure hose reels anyway.

Testing and problem solving is what has made me money in the past and will hopefully continue if and when I need it.

I can't say I like doing it all the time as it can get boring, but how else will you know how your equipment performs?

Our Shur-flo pumps have less capacity than the X-Jet draw rate so it won't do me any good to test that.

Thanks!

Morgan,

I believe at one time the X-Jet was selling for $149 + change and the Close Range Nozzle was $11.95 additional. Now I think the combination is selling for $159 + change.

I don't believe the flow rate functionality makes any difference between the 1/4" or the 3/8" as the fitting at the bottom of the X-Jet nozzle is the limiter - it's a 1/4" fitting (see attached photo).

That's a 1/4 MPT x 3/8" Barb.

The big difference would be in the 1/4 line kinking and rolling

much easier than the 3/8", especially if wanted to go to a longer length like 30 or 50 ft.

Morgan,

I use 3/8" tubing and my draw rate is where it should be.

If Steven tested both, I would have take his word on it as having different draw rates (as I did not test with 1/4").

However, everyone keeps telling me that when I use the Close-up nozzle, my draw rate should not change. I still have not resolved this issue, as my draw rate is half as much with the Close-up nozzle as it is without it. (I've talked to both Ron Strickland and Steven - neither have been able to help resolve this issu for me.)

Thanks!

Paul like I said I did not test it I am just saying what I was told by Steven. I have not tested my close range nozzle versus it being open however when I use the close range nozzle my bucket empties very quickly so I think they are about the same. I hope you get the problem with the close range nozzle figured out I know that could get very frustrating for you.:D

Paul

I have been in this business for just a short while but I have notice a significant difference using the close range nozzle as oppose to without.

I have no clue as to why but If you find out then please post it here.

the X-Jet used to be made with the 3/8" line but know it's 1/4". I spoke with the people at xterior and the draw rate is said to be the same. Just my 2cents.;)

I know Steven only sells them with 3/8 line he orders them that way.

OK here is my thinking on the difference between the 3/8 and the 1/4 lines. If there is no difference between the two then why would there be a difference in a 5/8 water hose and a 3/4 water hose going to your machine since they both go into the same fitting?????? I will answer that question the flow rate is higher with the 3/4 water hose. The same holds true with the X-Jet the bigger the hose the higher the flow rate will be. Also the barb on the 1/4 line that comes off the X-Jet is not the same barb as the 3/8 barb. The hole size may be the same size I dont know. Steven doesnt sell the same close range nozzle as everyone else either him and Glenn sell a different close range nozzle. I hope this clears up some things and as usual if Im not right I know someone will straighten me out. Its OK with me to disagree with me just as long as we all agree that its OK to disagree. Man I think im confused now maybe I did to many 16oz curls tonight at Joes Crab Shack LOL:D

Morgan,

The smallest orifice in a system is what determines the flow rate.

To keep this real simple, look at what happens when you pour water from a bucket into a funnel. No matter how big the bucket you pour from, only so much will go thru the same funnel. Flow rate does increase with pressure increase. A .060" orifice will maintain a flow rate of .87GPM at 100 PSI or 1.9GPM at 500 PSI and 2.8GPM at 1000PSI (so on and so forth).

Your statement is partially correct in regards to the fitting coming out of the X-Jet. The barb sizes are different, however fitting is still the same size (1/4") and so the orifice has to be the same size, otherwise the proportioning pieces would would not fit in both.

Xterior's Close up nozzles come with an "X" shaped baffle between the nozzle and the reducer, where as the one Steven provides does not have one. The baffle does create a bit of a pattern and flow difference. Without the baffle, sometimes the first couple of seconds, (when you initially squeeze the trigger) you get a different flow and pattern but then it settles out.

As for the 3/4" vs 5/8" garden hose: at 40 PSI a 5/8" ID hose will

give you approx. 11 GPM, whereas a 3/4" hose will provide you approx. 17 GPM. If you have a 7 GPM machine and maintain 40PSI water pressure, you will see no difference in your machine performance with either hose. As orifices and pressures change, that is when you start seeing output or input changes.

I hope I was able to explain things clearly.

I just spoke with Steven on this matter and he said he would do a test and take pictures because he owns both. As far as your statements Paul you are correct. Like I said I have not tested the 1/4 hose Im just going on what he said. I love these boards we can have discussions and work things out like this its great to have people to discuss things like this with.:D