Sign in to follow this  
Scott Knott

House washing

Question

I went to clean a house today, this was a very old house that has had vinyl siding put over old partical board type siding.The more i would try to clean this house the more the old sinding would run out leaving yellow streaks down the side of the house.The house would come clean great but after a few min. the yellow streaking would start again the owner took me to a place at the back of the house where he could lift the siding exposing the old stuff the old stuff is so rotten underneath the you could put your finger in it. I tryed just a brush and water hose working from top to bottom and power washing from top to bottom but I can not stop the yellow color stuff from running out. Has anyone ever seen any thing like this?

5 answers to this question

You will run across one of those from time to time and it can kill all your profit on that job (hopefully not more). The only thing I know (others may have more sophisticated methods) to do is to wait until the weeping has slowed/stopped but before the stains have dried and keep wiping off the streaks with a soft damp brush (a car brush on an extension pole). If you let it dry on the surface, some stains will become extremely (I mean extremely) difficult to remove. Do not keep rinsing with a hose or P/W as this will only prolong/increase your problem. Keep wiping with a damp brush, mop, rag, etc.

Scott, Ive heard of that happening, but its never happened to me. I saw on another board, that there are a few things that you want to do with that kind of siding.. FIRST.. DONT use an X jet. I think its because the water is more prone to get into the weep holes and run out. if the yellow is running from the weep holes, you might have to use a brush.. this all sounds like a nightmare.. lol something that would happen to me! What kind of chems are you using?

I'll research and try to find that post and post it here for you.