Sign in to follow this  
mrll

Deck project?

Question

I want to strip my deck down and repaint it. I don't really need to get all the paint off, but most. Do I use a harsh chemical to take it off or do I pressure wash it off. After I get most of the paint off, do I prime it or seal it. I want to do this myself or would it be easier to hire someone. I live in North Dakota, what would someone charge me to do a project like this. I have all the materials, JUST LABOR.

Thanks for the help!

2 answers to this question

A professional is going to use the right materials for the job. The detergents we use are far superior to anything a homeowner could buy. I am confused as to how you could ask what chemicals you would need to use, but then mention you have all the materials and you just need a quote for labor. If you do decide to DIY I would forego the use of chemical strippers. Powerwash of the flaking paint, seal with Cabot's Problem Solver Primer and use Cabot's Solid Decking Stain with teflon.

I want to strip my deck down and repaint it. I don't really need to get all the paint off, but most. Do I use a harsh chemical to take it off or do I pressure wash it off. After I get most of the paint off, do I prime it or seal it. I want to do this myself or would it be easier to hire someone. I live in North Dakota, what would someone charge me to do a project like this. I have all the materials, JUST LABOR.

Thanks for the help!

if you want it done right and professionally, you dont have all the materials....if its "painted" (ie, covered with actual paint), wash it, and where the paint has flaked, sand the edges "feather" and repaint......but paint on exterior wood (a deck) is not a good thing.......I guess in your dilema, it really all depends on how you want it done.....just covered with clean paint and fresh, or a professional deck restoration.......Im sure more will follow

toss some pictures up if you can......isnt winter about to start in ND? :)