Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

What to mask with

Question

I need to strip a 2nd story deck (small, about 75sf) that is above a sliding glass door. I will use F-18max and it will need to be strong. How should I, and with what should I cover the door, and mask the walls that wont be eaten up by the stripper. Then when I stain, what then.

2 answers to this question

plastic sheet or blue tarp. You could nail it to the under side of the deck. Nail it to the board thats against the wall. If you are worried about it even with that tape some of the clear plastic right to the door under the tarp.

is there a patio or something that is underneath the deck? The slider must go to something like that or is it just grass? the stripping will be easier then staining regarding the masking. I would hang the plastic from the underside of the deck so it covers whatever you dont want stripper on (slider, house, siding etc) you can use clamps or staple gun to attach it.....just soak everything with water, apply the stripper and soak everything again as its dwelling.......if there is a patio (cement-brick-whatever) I wouldnt use plastic when staining, the sealer will run down the plastic and puddle onto the patio, unless you plastic everything, then the sealer will puddle and drip when you remove the plastic. I use a lot of cardboard, canvas and the like when staining....