Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Hot Water Units and Rigg setups

I am looking to purchase a Hot Water Unit in the near future and would like to get all the input ya'll can give, their are so many choices and price ranges that my head is spinning. I'm also currenty using a open utility trailer to hold all my equipment and have been thinking about either getting some sort of flatbed or box truck or a large enclosed trailer and was wondering if you seasoned guys could give me any insight.

Thanks,

Alot of people use enclosed set ups, to protect their equipment from the weather and theft. It is nice to have a place to put all your smaller stuff also, as it is out of sight from public view.

I use an open trailer setup, that is just the washer, reels, tanks, and generator / reclaim equipment. Everything is permanetly mounted, and all my other stuff goes in the truck. I like having acccess to the trailer at all areas, but also would like to have more storage space and some protection. When the time comes to get another rig, I will look into a trailer that opens like a beer or soda truck, with the roll up doors on all sides. It will be the best of both worlds.

As far as choice for equipment, as long as they have quality components, they are basically the same for the most part. If you know how you want to have a setup, then you may pick one brand, simply for the way that they have configured the layout. That is how I picked my Generator. I needed the exhaust, outlets and easy access to all areas for service, in very particular spots. Short of having one custom made, I had to shop around for a little while.

My preference is Honda or Kohler for engines. and General or Cat for pumps. I also prefer vertical burners.

Weight is always something to look for also. You want to have a nice set up, but want to stay in the safe zone for your vehicle and trailer.

thanks for the input. I was considering an Allison are they really worth the extra $$? I know that I definately want to be able to run two guns off of the machine.

You need to determine what you want to do with the equipment and the type of weather you will operate in. You also need to set a budget for what you can do.

I once had a fellow want to talk about setting up a unit. He was driving a Lexus and said cost was not a problem! I happen to have my truck in the parking lot, so I showed it to him. "Well, not that much!", was his response.

This is a picture of that unit. It operates on Lp fuel. The boiler is 980,000 Btu. The main pump puts out almost 10 gpm and operates up to 3000 psi. It has a 45 Kw Genset on board and all of our pumps are electric with 24 volt switches. It can haul 1000 gallons of water, 140 gallons of Lp and 100 gallons of gasoline. We also can carry a 5 man crew. Gross weight of the truck is about 34,000 pounds when fully loaded.

Dave Olson

Wow! is that big red thing your burner? I can't say that I know what btu and other specs that I need, I've never had a hot unit before. What I do know is that I want to run more than 1 gun and at least 7 gpm and 3500psi. I don't want to break the bank but I don't want to regret my purchase in a few years either.

Guys you need to understand one thing about Dave, he does not believe in doing things in small ways, besides when his power goes out in the house he hooks up to his genset and takes has bath in the truck!

Dave show them your other truck too!

Oh and the farmers toy:)

Jon

the trailers and equipment look great. The only thing they are missing for me is a cover. I'm going to get an enclosed and set it up. Do they have enclosed trailers?

There seems to be a few missing links here, for one you need to plan ahead for added equipment and weight.

As you grow your equipment grows too so you will need room for them.

Does not matter if it is open trailer, closed trailer or truck, buy bigger then you need.

And be very sure of the GVW.

Most factory rigs have no room for growth, why I always prefer to buy flat open trailers and build my own setup.

7'w x14'l x6' tall i.d. with extended tounge to put a generator if needed, 3/4" plywood floor and walls, 16" o.c floor and walls, double door on rear, single side door, duall roof vents, interior lights, tandem axle, 7k gvw, roof racks for ladders. I figured I could get a skid unit, tanks, duall reels, tool boxes and a bunch of other stuff in this thing . It will all be protected plus it will be lettered reallll nice can you say mobile billboard?

Ooh I forgot, we do mostly residential the typical stuff for now but we are getting deeper into wood restoration, specializing in cedar if it all goes well.

One drawback of a bigger trailer is that it becomes more difficult to manuever/park in some residential areas.

Here is a pic of my hot water rig. It is a 6x12. Notice how it just barely fits between driveways. If I back it up into some driveways, it completely blocks the sidewalk.

If you're going to do mostly commercial work, then parking space will not likely be an issue, and a nice roomy trailer is ideal.

Something to consider.

For residential deck work, I use a 5x8, which is a little tight, but very workable if the inside is configured correctly. I carry two portable cold water machines, and everything needed to wash and stain decks, as well as wash houses.

The 5x8 easily fits in almost all residential parking situations. It's also nice because it fits inside my garage which has a typical seven foot high door. My bigger trailer would require an 8 foot door to store it inside.