Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Does anyone have pics of solid stain ?

Question

I am in the unenviable position of cleaning up another contractor's work. The customer is having hard time picking a solid color stain and I don't have a portfolio of solids as I rarely use them. Any ideas are appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Cabot solid decking oil stains are custom tintable - a good paint mixer can match anything you take to them :) This is one of the best solid stains available we've been told- it's really thick though - goes on like old paint :( Add the PITA factor in!

Celeste

I've used the Cabot waterbase (baby blue label). Many others as well, frankly, all seem the same. Have to prime, tint the primer to the color of the stain, and you may get by with one coat of stain. Or, we just spray the entire thing with white primer, and then spray the rails white, and let it get on the floor. Then, go back and roll the floor. You'll have to do two coats. There is a lot more cutting on a solid two tone than you'd think. Good thing is, easy touch up. One product I've had good luck with in a solid is Olympic. Hated Flood. Benmoore is good, i use their paint for everything. If you do a two tone, make sure that where the cut-end of the 5/4 decking ends out flush with the decks band board, make sure you stain those the color of the floor. That is a big pet peeve of mine. That sets it off, when you see the white band board and white rails, but the lip of the floor is a color. Good luck,

let me know if you want some pics,