Sign in to follow this  
Bob Warfield

Sun Block

With each passing year I seem to have less and less hair on the top of my head. I've never been able to wear a cap and on the rare occasion we get a sunny day the sun is really taking a toll on my scalp and forehead. Is there anything on the market that won't run into my eyes as I sweat?

Thanks and Happy Father's Day,

Bob Warfield

I don't know anything about lotions - almost never use it.

I don't like to wear hats very often as they tend to trap the heat on very hot days. Worked with a fellow in the 70's that patented a hardhat with a built in fan - very nice idea.

You could try an umbrella hat - covers but doesn't sit on top of your head and doubles as a bandana for your forehead.

Maybe sun block and a bandana wrapped around your forehead will keep the sweat and lotion from your eyes, or a bandana made into a hat for roof protection.

I use SPF 30 lotion purchased from one of the chain pharmacy stores. It is labeled as "waterproof". I apply it on my entire face everytime I'm working out in the sun.

It seems to hold up well thru heavy perspiration. I try to remember to reapply about every 4 hours. I've never been sunburned when applying it correctly.

However, I can vouch that any perspiration that rolls off my forhead and into my eyes burns like heck.

I wear a hat all the time otherwise the top of my head always gets sunburned. When washing I wear a baseball style hat, so I can pull down the brim which helps keep my face dry when I'm washing houses, and other vertical surfaces.

When I'm staining, I wear a loose fitting wide brimmed hat. I just got a new one from Direct Safety that has a little chill band inside that you soak in water or put in your freezer before wearing. It's supposed to help wick the heat off your head. I'll post a pic of it, seems to be the whip for hot days.

Direct Safety also has these cellulose strip sweat bands that work very well. We wear these on really hot days to stop the perspiration from running into our eyes.

This hat is the whip.

I have another I use that does not have the cooling band inside.

The hat prevents my scalp burning, and provides coverage for my ears, and stops direct sunlight and uv rays from glaring right into my eyes.

I'm not trying to promote any company, but check out Direct Safety for all the stuff you didn't know you needed until you spotted it in the catalog. It's also where I get my respirators, cartridges, safety glasses, gloves, etc.

These are the best disposable sweat bands I've found. I've tried several types, and these work the best as well as being super conveniant, and inexpensive. With these on, the sunblock and sweat can't get in your eyes. You can take them off and wring them out in a second. They're also nice when you rinse them off with really cold water before putting them back on.

Thanks for the good advice. Scott Stone jogged my memory on a hat I had years ago that I had forgotten about. It's the Tilley hat and really was very comfortable. Seems my hair isn't the only thing to go in my old age.

Thanks,

Bob Warfield

Not how you sounded last week when you gave short shorts an underbid estimate:D

Bob we call those Senior Moments.

Don't fret the small things buddy, just remember when you sit around saying I wish I could turn the clock back to the 50s and know then what I know now:rolleyes: