Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

Graystone Paint Removal

Question

Going to look at and bid on a job I need some advice on. It is a 2-flat Chicago Graystone building which has been painted roughly 8-10 years ago. The customer wants the paint removed from the stone front (2 story building) of the residence.

I've been "told" its not lead paint, if it is I'll probably pass. (but how to tell?)

I dont think I have anything in my arsenal of chems to tackle this one, so Eacho Chem? Prosoco? Menards?

Cost? how do I bid a a paint removal like this? I will see it tomorrow and take pics, but give me some things to look at and think about prior.....

Thanks folks, I'll post pics tomorrow sometime....

There are so many brick structures in and around Chicago, both old and new, with the right plan and chems, this could be a whole other area for us....... :)

2 answers to this question

Paint removal can be a nasty mess. Most chemicals that are effective at paint removal you can't spread around or send down storm drains. On the commercial jobs (the few I do) I use products from Dumond Chemicals. On wood Peel Away 7. On concrete I like the Pel away 7. These products aren't cheap. Coverage is about 40 sf per gallon. The number 21 doesn't need the peel away paper and it doesn't leave shadowing like someother industrial strippers I have used. It is also much easier to work with than heavy duty caustics.

To determine lead based paint grab a test kit on the internet. They are under $15.

Thanks Ken,

I looked at some chems from Prosoco and Eaco regarding their paint strippers designed for this job. seems like it'll be a pretty big deal..... couple of pitfalls on this are the building is in a semi-crappy area of the city, the owner wants this done asap, and I think the city of chicago is making them do it, if thats the case there is certainly a "reason" for it---(lead paint) would be my guess.....

anyway, Ill check it out and get the details and snap a few pics...

thanks again Ken