Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

What to cover during a housewash

Question

I kinda know the basics, like make sure you tell the customer to close all windows, move cars, make sure any electrical outlets have a waterproof covering on them.

What about exterior lights, especially the ones by the front door? Should they be covered? If so, how?

I had a house with an exterior intercom that I was worried about. Should that have been covered in some way? If so, how?

Any other things I should look for when scoping out a house as far a putting some type of cover or protection to protect from water and soap?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

I don't cover any lights, I just keep them wet before, during and after the wash. I've never had to deal with an intercom, but if it's out in the weather I would think its water proof. I would talk to the customer about it and let them know its a concern. I would probably cover it with plastic and duct tape and not spray it directley during the wash. Other than that Lou, I don't cover anything really, patio furniture, plants, lights, outlets, nothing. I just keep everything wet and rinse, rinse, rinse.

Good questions Lou,

We have found that most methods of covering out door lamps are ineffective against the process of washing even though we use an M-5 to apply and low pressure to rinse. Water and chems still always get behind the fixtures or into the glass housing. Tape just doesn't hold well.

Around electrical outlets, if they are not covered, I will recommend the homeowner turn off the breaker for the outside circuits to avoid any problems.

For exterior communications, these are designed to be outdoors and even in windy rain situations. Our method is not to apply or rinse them directly. If you are using bleach, it will turn the plastic housing yellow.

For the windows, besides making sure they are closed, we recommend that they put a towel on the sills and bottoms of any windows or sliding glass doors to catch any possible leaks into these areas that they may or may not be aware of. We have found that some homeowners are just not aware of the condition of their weather seals or weather stripping until a wash is conducted on their home. In addition, we ask for the best results that they remove the screens so that any matter that has collected in the sills can rinse free without clogging up the screens or the troughs that allow rain water to escape. This helps to prevent a problem with water retention that they would not necessarily be aware of until it was too late.

It would be interesting to know how others would approach the problems associated with outdoor exterior fixtures when doing house washing.

Rod~

i put duck tape over the face of exposed outlets...and a plastic grocery sack over accessible exterior lights. if i ask a customer to put towels around their doors and sills do i just tell them theyre weatherstripping should withstand the pressure but sometimes it doesnt? and if i pop a breaker from wetting an exposed outlet, should i just tell em it should take indirect water and be fine? what if they ask "well, its been rained on before and never had problems"

we've had outlets catch on fire when the GFI failed...that sux--BADLY. we cover all exposed electrical outlets with duct tape.... we did one house with an intercom and taped those up too...... I probably go above and beyond, but that experience with the fire (and no homeowner around) changed my tune forever..... it literally scared me straight !!!

as far as light globes etc, we just use care and work around them, if not using the M5, the dual lance is nice to throttle down the pressure and just flood rinse around the fixtures....

Jason,

if i ask a customer to put towels around their doors and sills do i just tell them they're weatherstripping should withstand the pressure but sometimes it doesn't?

No, Actually, the better way to put it is as a precaution since you are unaware of any deficiencies in their homes weather protective condition.

and if i pop a breaker from wetting an exposed outlet, should i just tell em it should take indirect water and be fine? what if they ask "well, its been rained on before and never had problems"

Again, tell them to turn off any outside circuits to avoid any problems occurring from the wash process that you are unable to foresee since you are not familiar with any deficiencies that may be present on their homes exterior.

Overall, asking the customer questions pertinent to their homes condition is a start. Letting them know devils advocately what could happen in order to jog their memory of a condition they may be aware of and forgotten or just to inform them of the possibilities is more informative and gives them the understanding that you are just looking out for their home and trying to avoid any mishaps.

We had a customer that had problems with their electrical because water got behind the siding around the outlet and kept popping the circuit. They called an electrician and blamed us for the problem saying just that "well it never was a problem before even when it rains real hard" not understanding that rain and pressure washing don't work the same way. We paid for the repair and they were happy. The best thing to keep in mind is that most homeowners don't take the time to investigate any potential problems before hiring someone and they most likely aren't even aware of something that may have been a condition that they may have created to begin with and the process reveals the problem.

We are often the inadvertent messengers where deficiencies in their homes exterior are concerned. How you handle it before hand and the education you impart on them can make a big difference between a normal day on the job and a disaster and worries for you.

C.Y.A. people. Talk to the customers and cover the bases.

Rod~

good advice rod...dio you think it was your fault that the outlet popped? also, if the outside electricity was turned off, do you think the problem would have still occured once it was turned back on? sorry about badgering you with the same question. thanks for the guidance.