Sign in to follow this  
Everett Abrams

State of Affairs-Bulletin Boards

Question

I wasn't going to do this and I have for the most part sworn off posting on Bulletin Boards anymore. I have spoken to many people over the past year who have really changed my perception of this "tool." There was time when these bulletin boards were for education and communication FOR ALL. Now there are so many flaws with this that it has detracted from the real professionals even participating like they once did. These bulletin boards have become nothing more than a hobby for those wishing to be in the middle of drama. Heck, for those of us who have been around for a while we know of folks who have gotten on here and didn't even own a business. They use to search the web for answers just to post like they knew what they were talking about. There is a problem when these outlets take on the culture that now exists.

What is that culture? It is one where many people simply will not post for fear of being intimidated, ridiculed, or degragated in some fashion. For one person to feel that way it is ashame. These forums should be for ANYONE to post without a fear of reaction. Many folks use these not to debate topics but more to fill a void that is lacking somewhere else, which I will not go futher. I also can not comment on the amount of times in the past year that other contractors or "OUR" customers have read some of these forums and commented on "mixed messages" and "unprofessional contractors." The general rule of thumb should be that we all post like we talking to one of our customers.

It is my opinion that the true professionals have left these boards and are busy running their businesses. It is my opinion that these bulletin boards now detract from the professional image that the industry needs and is searching for. I may be preaching to the crowd but this is how I feel and I will let others debate it. It is my opinion that the culture that exists on ALL of these bulletin boards needs some serious changes to culture and ethics or they should go away. This is not how it is on other industry Bulletin Boards I visit, why is it this way in the power washing industry?

27 answers to this question

What Everett is saying I can see it...to a point. On the PWNA BOD I believe Myself and Henry hold the Powerwashing bb's to a higher esteem then the others(Henry if I'm wrong then please accept my apologies) I guess some of the negativity from the past has altered some of the people's views about these bb's and I can't say that I blame them in doing so. Still I do feel that if the bb's are adminstered as well as this bb is here then they are a great source to make connections and friends in this industry. Before I ever visited a bb lets say around 1998 I didn't KNOW the following:

1-Other contractors that do this business.

2- The use of chemicals in this field.

3- The PWNA

4- The different types of equipment thats out there.

5-What others use in this field etc.etc.etc.

I do feel as Everett does that the bb's of yesteryear where a little better because there where alot less crap going around and there where more reputable members posting.....This is most likely because the bb's where at there infant stages and most didn't want to rock the boat so to speak.

BUT as in everything else the bb's will and do evolve. Along the way the kinks have to be worked and reworked as Beth/Rod have done here numerous times which is once again why there bb gets so much traffic.

This is the modern world and communication has evolved 100 fold such as a bb. I can type a post like this and there could be over a 1000 views on it where as a phone conversation there is usually only you and the caller. Still the rank and file on communication will be as it has been for many years with face to face being the best then phone/Conference calls next and the bb's being further down the list....BUT..For mass communication the bb's can be at or near the top of the list and this my bb friends is something that must be Harvest...and this is why I feel that bb's can play a greater role then they ever have done in the past....and this is the difference from my opinion that most others on the PWNA BOD.

I'm new to this BBS and I visit another one often and I was for sometime argueing quite abit on that one and it has gotten old to me and I promised myself not to anymore and I wont. I like to learn on these BBS's and help when I can.

I have to say the week Ive been on this BBS, Ive learned alot and the volume of people & infomation is great!!!! These boards are such a great resource. Before I ever found these boards, I was doing things the hard or wrong way, now I have a question, stupid or not I can get an informed answer. The BS is useless, but these bbs's arent. Thanks for a great board and all the knowledge that can be learned here!!!!

Hey!!!!!!!!! I did not know Jeff until I met him on another BBs, and he only lives 5 minutes away. We stop at same gas station every day.

I think if everyone respected other BBS members like they do their customers you would not have some of the embarassing things as Everett is speaking of.

If you go to a lawyer for a consultation he charges you money. If you come here for a consultation it is free and you get more than one answer. I could blab on for a long time but I think RESPECT would help.

another reason for influx of info and post on bbs's could be due to the amount of newbies coming on the boards asking questions, time of year and weather , just to name a few.