Sign in to follow this  
csoldier

Mixtures

Question

Hi. First time posting. Writing from New Orleans, La. Currently looking for a house wash mixture to remove not only algae and mildew, but dirt and road film/carbon deposits. Currently, we are using 12.5% bleach and liquid laundry detergent. Have tried Emulsifier in the past. Good results, only it gets so hot down here that it dries on the windows before we can rinse it off. It leaves a residue that needs to be buffed off. Any recommendations as to a good quality house wash mixture that is cost efficient and cleans well? Privately e-mail me if you prefer. Thanks!

Mark, N.O., La.

3 answers to this question

If the emulsifier is leaving a haze on the windows, that means it is drying. Most any good housewashing soap is going to be higher on the alkaline side, and prone to causing haze on windows if allowed to dry. The key is to prewet the windows and rinse them before the wash mix has a chance to dry. I know it can be done, it just requires practice and a good technique.

My feelings on laundry detergent is that it's best used to wash clothes. Good house wash mixes have other ingrediants formulated especially for washing houses.

You can use the search function on this board to find plenty of info and previous discussions regarding house wash mixes.

Ditto what Tony said. I used it once before to see what it was worth. It's expensive if you use enough to act as a good surfactant and is designed for low/no suds which is a negative with respect to dwell time.

That's not to say that I wouldn't use it again in a pinch, but for daily washes, there are much better and more economical products.

we use softwater to clean all our houses. We never have any streaking problem cause the soft water is wetter and drians off better. then when we rinse with just softwater (no chems) and the windows are streak free.

The softwater gives us an edge when selling the job over our competition. Also we explain that we also offere DI window cleaning which will leave their windows totally spotless and it gives us the opportunity to get some add on sales.

We mounted a softwater resin tank to the front of the trailer. Run source hose to soft tank then from that to main holding tank and feed our pw'r.

We do not run DI thru Pw'r. We have a low pressure pump to ffeed our wtarefed poles.