Sign in to follow this  
steffysmom

Box Truck versus Trailer

Hi everybody--we currently have a 14 ft. box truck that we house all of our PW stuff--900 lb skid washer unit, a smaller pressure washer, about 150 lbs, 2-55 gallon drums of chemicals, 2 hose reels a 325 gallon water tank,

3-5 gallon gas cans and 1--5-gallon can of kerosene. Our truck is on its last leg and it costs us an arm and a leg to run the thing, not to mention the registration, insurance, cost of fuel, yearly inspections, etc.--we are thinking about a 8 X 16 trailer to pull behind a Dodge 2500 Quad Cab diesel. We can tow up to 13,000 lbs so the weight shouldn't be an issue--the trailer is about 3000 lbs and will hold up to 7000 lbs of stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

steffysmom

I just got new 7x16 enclosed, Homesteader Hercules, really well built, painted the plywood with epoxy. Can store alot of stuff, Im having some metel racks and hangers made for it. Im lucky in SC you dont have to register them, no plate either so that saves $$$. Nw I just need a bigger truck I have 2001 4x4 1500 Ram, it pulls it real well, but I know I need something bigger

Guest Sopowerclean

2 thoughts on this.

1. if you use a trailer and your truck breaks down you can get another one to pull it and not have any downtime.

2. if you use box truck it is easier to get into places and neighborhoods.

You can letter the pull truck as well as the trailer. I use my pull truck quite often for bid, running for supplies etc..this is a great way to get noticed as well. Drivng a box truck around for errands is slightly impractical. The pint Sopower made about usning another rig when the pull truck is down is a very good one. Even if the truck is in the shop for maintenance or whatever you still can grab the trailer and go to work.

I had an open and an enclosed trailer which I recently sold. My new set-up is in a 24ft box truck. So far so good. It nice not having to tow something for a change but like Mike said above, the Box Truck is costing me $1800/yr to insure which is not cheap.

Between my two trucks and a Van I'm paying over $4000 for insurance. Then between my wifes car and my pickup truck there is another $2500/yr. Then advertising cost another $10,000 etc.etc...it never ends. The hole in the wallet just grows and grows.

On that Cleaner Times Cover there's about a 1000psi of water hitting that roof because no chemicals at all where allowed to be used. THis was there requirement and because of this that roof was a real PITA...Not Fun!!! Plus I think the Temperature that day was 95+. Somebody had to do it....