Sign in to follow this  
Vashtie

Deck Mania

Question

I have approximately 1,000 sq ft of pressure treated deck (GA) that needs to be treated. It is about 6 yrs old and has never been treated. Some of the wood is covered like on a front porch and a sun room. I've done a lot of research regarding products to apply for treatment of the wood and found some that claim to last for many years but are very expensive. I came accross a couple of products armopoxy and rhinoguard but did not see much in the way of ratings. Any info on these products especially as compared to the products most folks are recommending on the website for use would be very much appreciated. From what I read, seems that Wood tuf, ready seal and cabot are the products of choice.

Vashtie

7 answers to this question

. From what I read, seems that Wood tuf, ready seal and cabot are the products of choice.

Vashtie

Wood Tux, not tuf, RS and cabots are bad? Avoid anything that gaurantees a "long lasting" finish those are the bad ones.

Many people on here use the Wood Tux and ready seal. Search it and look at the pics, you will see how good it looks.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the products you mentioned. They are not good for the wood.

Not to assume anything here, but Im sure Scott meant not to use rhino-stuff or the poxy stuff...... the other mentioned sealers are good.

Ditto what Scott said...

Ready Seal is great, Wood Tux is also very nice, Cabot's looks great but will require a significantly more intense maintenance schedule in the Georgia climate than RS or WT.

Fact is, there is just not much of anything out there that will last more than 2 years on a deck in Ga. without maintenance. Does not matter what the label, the fancy glossy brochures, or the salesmen tell you...Sure it might, at some molecular level, actually still be protecting the wood at 4,5,or even 7 years; but the fact of the matter is that at that time interval it will have LONG since begun to look like total crap and you will hate your deck. Not only that, but the work required to restore the once good looks will be quite substantial indeed.

Knowing this, then the real questions come down to what is best for the wood, what is most cost effective to maintain, and what will provide proper protection along with good looks.

Check our website if you like for more info and for images of Ready Seal decks

www.pamspressureclean.com

Hope this helps,

Cujo