Sign in to follow this  
Scott Knott

peanut oil on wood

Question

I have someone that has a big stain on a deck, racoons knocked over a fryer and spilled penut oil all over the deck. They had the deck power washed and stained last year but the oil has came back to the top. Im thinking that this may never come up is there somthing I can use? The customer is thinking they may want to go with a dark solid stain or just paint the deck anyone ever seen anything like this before?? What would you do? Im kinda leaning to painting the deck but would like some good input before I decide what to suggest to them. Also they dont want anything esle done on the deck just the plattform no stairs, rails ect. Flipping the bords will not work either they look worse on the bottom than on the top.

4 answers to this question

Take HD-80 to the affected area and agitate witha deck brush. Do this for about 20 minutes. Rinse. Apply the citralic brightener. RInse, rinse, rinse. This should help greatly. HD-80 is a wonderful degreaser, and we use it on grease stains on wood, concrete, etc... all the time.

Beth :cool:

Beth & Rod

I still have the sample of HD- 80 and citralic you sent me. Do ya think I should strip the whole deck or just the bad spot. I dont think the last person that worked on the beck did anything but cleand the deck with bleach and power wash. Im lost at what to charge the people for just the spot as well, if we try to go that route.

I would suggest hourly for the spot removal. How large is the spot? You don't have to strip the whole deck, just the effected areas. Then turn them off to the idea of painting. Paint is far harder to remove than stains and sealers.

Hope this helps.

Beth