Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

two questions

Recently bought a skid unit power washer from Water Cannon. I did not get a manual for the pump and can not seem to get a hold of a tech guy there. My question is, after I complete my last house wash (hopefully this weekend) I will need to winterize it because I will be storing it outside. How do I get the remaing water out of the pump? and what is involved in winterizing the pressure washer. It is an electric start 5.5gpm with a general pump.

My second question is in regards to the direction of water flow in relation to the type of QC coupler to use. I read that the water flow should always flow through the male and then female. Does this really make a difference? (if so i need to change a lot of my couplers).

You cannot get all the water out of the pump. There are just too many small passages in there to totally evacuate the water. You need to run antifreeze through the system including hoses and guns because they will also freeze and break. Get a short piece of garden hose with a male end (assuming yours is hose fed, not float tank), mix auto antifreeze and water in a bucket, drop the hose in and start the machine with all hoses and a gun attached. As soon as it starts to draw the mixture, release the gun trigger. This will bump antifreeze through the bypass circuit of the unloader. Trigger the gun and wait for the green to appear out the wand. Shut 'er off and store it. Put some fuel stabilizer in the gas before winterizing to get you an easy start later on.

As for the direction of flow through a quick coupler, it really doesn't matter. Manufacturers have been setting them up both ways for years and one isn't any better than the other.