Sign in to follow this  
Tim Smith

HD80 on Ashpalt Roofs

Question

Can HD80 be used to clean asphalt roofs?

I believe that Sodium Hydroxide is the main ingredient in HD80 - is that correct? If so, I believe most roof cleaners use Sodium Hydroxide - Is that true?

I would think that HD80 would damage the oil in the shingle.

What do you think?

6 answers to this question

Yes, it would be a potential hazard to the shingles, and is not suggested (HD-80). You're right, most all roof cleaners contain that ingredient (sodium hydroxide). You can accomplish the same thing with a percarbonate. Might take a little longer, but won't harm the shingle either....

For removing mold & mildew, a mix of pool shock (10-1/4 or 12%) and water (1:2 or 1:3) works very well. Spray it on and leave it. No rinsing is needed but if you rinse, allow 10 minute dwell time. You still have run off that need to be insured is not damaging to landscaping. I think to me this is safer than a Sodium Hydroxide solution.

This mix will also kill moss, but will not remove it immediately. Pressure is required to remove moss (or long period of time and some rain) and care must be taken in the amount of pressure used.

I just cleaned a 3 roof home/office/garage complex myself with that mix for a trade/barter. The black mold & mildew came off quickly and without rinsing the moss took some coaxing and there is still some remnants on the office roof as it was thick and I didn't want to risk pressure damage to the shingle.

I think pool shock is 10% to 12% bleach (sodium hypochlorite). It is referred to as pool shock, because a pool supplier is typically where you can buy it, and it is used to "shock" the ph level of the pool.

Pool supply and grocery stores carry so many different names and brands -

One of the pool supply stores sells "Maintain - Liquid Shock" (I'm quoting the name exactly) it contains 10-1/4% Sodium Hypochlorite.

One local grocery store carries "Pool Shock" - (liquid that contains 12-1/2% Sodium Hypochlorite)

Grocery stores carry Bleach that has 6% Sodium Hypochlorite content.

Crystal shock (that I believe Ron is talking about) is Calcium Hypochlorite and is at about 65-68% - again there are probably many variations.

High Sodium Hypochlorite content liquid is available comercially. Pool supply stores carried 15% in the past but the highest I've seen in my area over the past 3 years has been 12-1/2%.

The shelf life of the liquid is about 120 days from manufacture (It still has a medium to high level after 120 days but it shouldn't be sold as labeled.)

I purchase from a supplier that can guarantee that it's less than 30 days old when I take it out the door. It's manufactured locally and my supplier gets weekly shipments all year around.

I've purchased some at great price to find that it was 4-5 months old and about flat as a tire that ran over a road spike. I'd like to see a "Born On Date" but that's wishful thinking.