Sign in to follow this  
SprinklerGuy

Whats in a name......

I have a problem...well I have many problems...but lets focus on just this one for the time being. I had this problem in the past with my other business...and I'll give some background and ask for suggestions.

I started my company in 1993 with the intention of just repairing lawn sprinklers...i did just that...and also installing them..my company name was indicative of that fact... Sprinkler Solutions....fit perfectly.

As time went on...we started doing some Landscape Contracting...sod, plants, walkways etc....I fought with the idea of changing my company name to reflect this. I ultimately decided that my company name and my core business were more important...and I marketed myself to people who already knew me anyway, therefore the name change was not important.

Now the dilemna...(sp?)

I love wood....I love the way it smells, I love the way it looks and I love to work with it, mostly building things but I was so impressed with the before and after pictures on this site while researching PW'ing that I have decided I want to specialize in wood restoration. I want to be known for that and I think my company name should reflect this...my niche. However, initially I feel it is very important for people to know that I will also offer other types of PW'ing....I will need to do all I can to make ends meet...it won't happen overnite.

Should I attach a more generic name to my company and push the wood restoration because I love it...or should I do what I did w/ the sprinkler company....attach a name that defines my niche and mention also that I offer other services?

I'm leaning towards the niche name...and getting those prospects to do other things as well. The way I see it a client has many chances to use that big machine on the trailer for things...not just wood restoration and it is my job to let them know what those things are.

BTW...it is with a heavy heart that I realize I need to let the fledgling sprinkler business run its course...I just finished my first season here in Colorado and it was promising...but I believe my future is in something else...

Thanks for listening.

......it is good that you already have a database of paying customers (sprinklers) and that will help kick off the new biz.

Welcome to the toughest service business to think of a name for!! You are going through what everyone has had to deal with for years. Go with your heart---but don't be surprised if things turn out far different than you might think.

Think about where you TRULY plan to go with things---is a long term goal to franchise?? Just be a momandpop in a small town?? If franchising, go with something generic and memorable, ie. House Helpers, Inc, Wonderwash, Inc., if going for the small town thing, be Fife Wood Restoration, etc. or Fife Construction.

This is going to be a very hard decision. I love the name of your sprinkler co., let that lead you to a name for your new biz. I love alliteration (sp), so you may incorperate that. Go for a seven-letter name, and you may be able to get it as a phone number as well. And check that you can get your biz name as a website.

...um, I don't think I would. If you'd want to PM them to people, that might not be bad. I'd suggest sending them to Ken Fenner, aka PressurePros, he is great with this sort of thing.....maybe he'd be willing to give you his critiques.

Try this for names.

One generic name or corporate name with DBA's which spell out your different companies.

Seperate set of books for tax purposes and to be able to transfer profits from one business to support the one losing money! You need a good CPA for that to work legally but it can be done.

Or

Two seperate names, two seperate businesses. Two phone numbers, one for each.

OR

If you truly are burned out of sprinkler repair/installing and want to make a totaly change a totally new name showing what you do now.

As for spelling out here the names I would not recommend it as there are those that never post yet always read and who knows if one might take the name you mention and use it first.

While on that subject be sure to check out the name you plan to use and be sure it is not already taken, then if not register it with the state.