Sign in to follow this  
Richard Ivy

Basic (I think!) Question on wood stripping

Question

Morning all,

I have some wooden garden furniture that looks decidedly grubby - I'd like to pw it.

The thing is, I am wondering how you clean in between the planks? There is a gap of about half inch (remember, this is not decking, although the same query applies really), and I have no idea how you clean in there. Maybe you don't?

This leads me to ask if you use a chemical on wood to strip it? I can't see any other way of getting in between the pieces of wood (slats).

Thank you,

8 answers to this question

Morning all,

I have some wooden garden furniture that looks decidedly grubby - I'd like to pw it.

The thing is, I am wondering how you clean in between the planks? There is a gap of about half inch (remember, this is not decking, although the same query applies really), and I have no idea how you clean in there. Maybe you don't?

This leads me to ask if you use a chemical on wood to strip it? I can't see any other way of getting in between the pieces of wood (slats).

Thank you,

what kind of wood is it our cleaning on the furniture?

A sodium hydroxide based cleaner will do the trick followed by an oxalic or citric acid after the wash. Teak is a pretty hard wood and will stand the pressure. If you need to do any sanding, use a vacuum to get rid of the sawdust out of the pores. This will help the sealer penetrate better.

We do this for all our teak furniture. In the past we have used Cabot Australian Timber Oil, but this year we are going to use Wood Tux.

Rod!~

ps, use a 25* or 40* nozzle instead on wood. A turbo nozzle can exert too much force and cause some shreading of the wood fibers.

To wood, apply with a sprayer, either pump up or hvlp.

Buildings, apply with either a High Volume Low Pressure (hvlp) sprayer like a Shurflo or Flojet, or use an M-5/X-jet, unless the chems are downstreamed through the chemical injection port on your pressure washer.

Rod!~

There are 2 types of downstream injection. 1 is at the pump on a port called a chemical injector.

2nd is at the gun via an m-5 or x-jet.

Each has its pros/cons.

Upstreaming means that the chems are injected before the water goes into the pump and subjects the pumps inner components to possible adverse affects that can be caused by the chemicals introduced.

The one advantage here is that you have chemicals at high pressure where the chem port after the pump gives you low pressure chem application.

The x-jet or m-5 give high pressure output of chems for high reach applications and situations that would require it.\

Did this answer your question?

Rod!~

Pretty much, I think Rod, esp. in regard to downstreaming and upstreaming.

Also, when you spray on the chems, presumeably the chems/water drips down into the gaps between the planks and take effect.

So yes, thank you for the clarification.

I have been doing some google research on wood care and maintenance (uk sites) and am coming up with a few products to consider, although I can't tell what's in the tin until I buy them!

Thanks again.