Sign in to follow this  
steffysmom

Surface Cleaner maintenance

Hi Everyone: We recently purchased a used 30 inch Steel Eagle surface cleaner--it seems to be in good shape and runs well--just curious to see what kind of maintenance everyone does on their surface cleaners to keep them running in tip-top shape--I can't imagine not having it to clean decks and patios--it does a fantastic job.

Thanks for your help !

steffysmom

Clean your tips if they get cloged. Other than that if your swivel has a grease zirk on it then lube it up. If it doesnt, then just run it.

Order a replacement seal and ring kit for it. You will be glad you have one around when it goes out on you.

Depending on how often you use it and if you reuse your wash water will dictate how often you will need to do rudimentary tasks like RLS mentioned and O'ring replacement on the hose and gun connections. The kit I mentioned should be used if you are experiencing rotation problems with the spray bar. (slowing down and speeding up)

Rod!~

RLS

Clean your tips if they get cloged. Other than that if your swivel has a grease zirk on it then lube it up. If it doesnt, then just run it.

One thing to note on cleaning or replacing tips, you want to have each tip the same depth into the spray bar. Keeping them even will prevent stripping and surging. You can potentially get a tip so deep that it partially blocks the channel of supply. I also change my tips every 6 monthsor so. Even though they are stainless, they get worn pretty quickly with all the grit etc flying around in there.

Having spare parts on the truck will save you lots of time and money. I have enough spare parts to rework almost every (minor) piece on my equipment should it be needed. I hate being out and get half way through a job and sonething happen and can't fix it.

Also one more thing I do is add an inline high pressure filter when I use my surfacer to help save on down time. I have my filter set up with QC's and just attach it to the gun when I need it.

I find just replacing the tips is faster then cleaning them saved time on the job.

Seems it was always 2 AM when they decided not to work and usually when half done on a job.

Buy them by the dozen, cheaper.

Also with your Steel Eagle you have to have the bars aligned evenly too, you did get the cardboard tool for that with it?

Mine are not getting clogged as much as they used to. I had accumilated sand in my tank that worked through the filter. After i flushed that out not as much problems.

When I change orings, ( I know this may be common sense, but little details seem to get you) I flush the line of the pieces of old oring. That was killing me until I figured out where it was coming from.

I can remove, clean and replace a tip faster than replacing with a new one....Of course if it is worn and not working as I think it should be, it's replaced. (I have to dig a little deeper in the goodie bag to replace one vs clean it).

Jon or others, when buying tips for the surface cleaner (1/4 meg) do you see a difference in the length of the threads to the shoulder?

I have some that are a little longer than others (I think, but not much) and sometimes think I get them too deep and interfers with flow through to nozzels/tips.

Yes, you have keen eyes, try to buy the shorter ones or at least match them when installing which I am sure you already do.

Hey Jon.... I really took (take) for granite about vision sometimes. I have just started with the bi-focals (only slight adjustment) wheeewhooooo!!! I certainly understand better about trying to see through a tiny little spot, late at night while moving the object back and forth to get in focus is sometimes the only thing you can do is laugh at myself in frustration!!!!!!

I keep a small tool handy that will allow me to poke through the hole without damage (if careful). Most of the time I don't need it though.