Sign in to follow this  
smokey51

Nextel Navigation

I just recently found out that I can get navigation (very similar to what is in cars) on my Nextel telephone for about $20.00 per month (vs $2000 on a car). Are any of you Nextel users using this? In the area I work in, it seems to me this would be of great help saving time and money because of all the small streets, streets that all of a sudden change names, no idea where a street is, etc.

Hell, I would save $20.00 a month just in gas:lgsideway if the nav worked pretty good.

Smokey51

I use a magellan MAP310 handheld GPS it was about $250 new. It's about the size of a cell phone, but the screen takes up most of the space on it. With these handheld systems (magellan, garmin, etc) you can actually purchase a suction cup mount to stick it to the dash board of whatever you are driving that day.

BJ's wholesale is selling a system that looks almost identical to the systems HERTZ has been using for years. I think they are going for about 1000. These sytems should be able to plot routes and recalculate due to driving errors or unknown construction zones as well.

With the system I have, I have to manually go into the 'puter and plot my own route. Once I leave the house, I screwed if there are any hiccups along the way. I can replot the route manually in the truck but doing it on the handheld is extremely cumbersome. I have been thinking about getting the system from BJ's for sometime, just don't have the grand to sink into it.

The best Nextel navigation system to use is having another Nextel user at your destination! We also use Garmin GPS system :) Before that, www.mappoint.com or www.mapquest.com is free...used it before every estimate or job :)

Celeste

the garmin i have talks to me turn by turn its awsome i cant go any where with out it.

the garmin i have talks to me turn by turn its awsome i cant go any where with out it.

I got Roger a new one for Christmas that talks to him to - it's hilarious if we go on a new road (we get new roads every DAY here)....that girl says "Off Course, Off Course!

If you guys are looking at GPS's, check them out of EBay - I saved an enormous amount of money by finding my deal there!

Celeste

We use the least expensive of all...ADC maps for only 12.00/(depends on when you need a new one)

I myself do not like to become dependent upon technology any more than is necessary.

I can understand the attraction to it by others and the possible need for it in some circumstances, but it is not so frequent enough to warrant buying one.

I have looked into the other features Nextel phones have like "Cheetah Tracks" which tracks other Nextel gps capable phones and gives you real time location. This is helpful when keeping tabs on employees with one issued. It will even show you a history of the days travel which can come in handy in the event of a problem on a site where the employee is blamed for something and the history can show whether or not they were there at the time in question.

Rod!~

I got Roger a new one for Christmas that talks to him to - it's hilarious if we go on a new road (we get new roads every DAY here)....that girl says "Off Course, Off Course!

If you guys are looking at GPS's, check them out of EBay - I saved an enormous amount of money by finding my deal there!

Celeste

tchhnolgy is great .all i need is auto pilot for my trk not just my boat

I have a Magellan Roadmate 500 and I love it. All of my fleets are in it. I use it for deck estimates & jobs. My guys are using it as I'm typing. I'm gonna add one more this year if things go the way I hope.