Sign in to follow this  
Scott Knott

Bidding decks

Question

How do most of you guys bid deck jobs.

Clean and seal, Clean and stain, Strip, clean and stain.

Do ya bid by the SF or by the job, I have been trying to bid by the amount of time I think it will take to do the job.

Also when you bid a deck, when should you bid the deck to be stripped, Do you strip every deck that has a stain on it ? I have been reading all I can about decks and I have read that you can put stain over old stain.

Example the customer wants to restain a deck that is getting old and faded ant the stain is wearing off in high traffic areas, and he wants to go with the same semitransparent stain. Should I strip tha old stain or clean the deck and restain?

9 answers to this question

Strip, Clean/brighten, and seal. charge by the sf. Yes to stripping the old stain. My thoughts, other my agree or disagree, are if you are going to change the stain of a deck, strip the old stain out first, then neutralize/brighten afterwards..

Stain over old stain depends entirely on "whose" stain you use. I can't speak for any stain but ReadySeal as far as new stain over old stain. A moderate wash should be done to old ReadySeal, allowed to dry, and a medium coat can be reapllied over the old seal.

Reed

most spindles are 1.5" wide by lets say 36 inches high. so the math is 1.5 x 36 x4 (4 sides) divide by 144 is sf per spindle then multiply by the number of spindles. Handrails .5 (2x6) x length of handrail. Post 6x6, just double the height of the post for sf.

If you like and have MS Excel I have a spread sheet that can calculate your sf and determine how much sealer you will use based on coverage per gallon, that you can use.

To be honest with you, Linear foot measurement on wood other than fences can short change you on sf charge.

Reed

Not all handrail sytems are the same so you should calculate until you get familiar enough to know the differences.

I have run across handrail systems that were as much as 5.7 sq ft per linear ft. The difference may not kill you in cost, but why give away even a small amount.