Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Richard

Cleaning work at construction sites beyond pressure cleaning

At the last couple of houses I cleaned the brick on I met the crew that comes in and cleans all the floors, walls, carpets, windows, and so on in a new house just before closing. Does anyone here run a business where this is part of it? It looks like a very smart and profitable add on.

Yes! We do. We do alot with construction clean up. There are various types of construction clean up, residential and commercial and also interior and exterior. There is good revenue in commercial clean up, although the long term contracts for residential are attractive. We have not yet handled a housing project from start to finish, but we have been approched.

One thing folks don't realize is that it is heavy duty cleaning. There is more to it than just dusting and sweeping. The guys you're working behind leave wonderful presents for you, like glue on the walls, the floor, the fixtures, grout everywhere, etc.

Beth

:cool:

Your right! I just cleaned up behind the messiest masons I'v ever seen and it can really add time to a job Quick. These guys and gals I met were in the process of cleaning all paint overspray, stickers, writing, and in this case mortar. They made those windows look so good it was unbelievable. They do every house built by 8 diffrent builders. To say the least, they stay busy.

Looks like a near future add on for me!

Windows are something to learn all by themselves....

Usually there is film on them, but sometimes they run out of film and you have to remove spray paint. Done right, windows don't even look like they are there.

Beth

I used to do window cleaning when I first started out in business about 13 years ago. Here is what I found to be the fastest and easiest way.

Buy yourself a garden sprayer 1.5 gallon or so pump up sprayer.

Buy some ammonia and mix about 20% ammonia 60% water 15% vinegar and a couple drops of dish soap. Mix this up and dump it into the sprayer.

Get yourself a hammer holder for your belt. and an industrial sized razor blade scraper with long handle and 4" blade.

Buy about 4 different sized squeeges. one 18", one 9" and one 6" or whatever size most moulion windows are in your area.

Your also going to want one of those rug like covered scrubby things. These can be found in most commercial cleaning supply stores.

Okay, here is how I used to do it. I would take my sprayer and soak down the inside of the windows (paint covered window) let it sit for about 15 seconds then take your scraper on edge, and cut along the window edge to seperate paint on window frame from paint on glass. Then just slide your razor blade about scooping up the rest of the soft paint.

Then I would use 1 towel and run one finger down the side of the window and the top. (finger in towel) Then I would start squeeqing from the top left acrossed working my way down each sweep acrossed. Then with finger in towel again, I would run around all the edges of the window and wipe my towel acrossed the sill. That's it. I used to be able to do a window in about 35 seconds. <G> My fastest recorded speed for a window inside, outside and both sides of the storm windows, take apart and re-install was 3 minutes and 25 seconds. <G> Yeh, I'm bragging!!

Henry

:p

Looks like you got it down to A science Henry. Sounds like a pretty good technique. How long would a 1.5 gallon container of cleaner last You?

One tank like this would last me for a couple of houses usually. I think my cost averaged out to $3 in materials for each house, after I bought the startup equipment. Once you get the scrubber pad wet, you just have to keep it damp. I used the hammer holder to hang my squeeges in so I could keep my hands free.

We started out our pressure washing business with inside cleaning jobs (go figure) It's definitely good money and if you get on with a few solid builders, you will stay busy. Weather doesn't ever become an issue either :)