Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Sticker Shock

I think I’m about ready to put a unit together but I’m having “sticker shock” at the price of a utility trailer. I’m looking to start out with a 5x10 single axle unit. I will have a cold water unit, small water tank (around 200 gal. and used as a transfer tank for the pw i.e. I won’t be driving around with a full tank), chemicals, lances etc. I will be pulling it with a Ram 1500 so I’m paying close attention to gross weight, pulling capacity and so on. After lots and lots of shopping around they all seem to start out around $1200. Do I need to suck it up and accept that this is what I’m going to have to pay? I don’t mind buying a used one and doing refurb work on it. I’ve checked online stores, tractor supply co., ebay etc. Also, where is a good place to shop for the square water tank with the cage around it (by the way, what is the actual name for those)? Will this even be a less expensive and still viable option to the normal tanks used? A used tank is fine as long as it’s clean and can be used for water. I don’t want to take short cuts but I don’t want to overspend in the beginning either. There is a lot of experience out there…..HELP.:)

You can get a trailer like that around here for $700-$800. If you haven't already, you might want to shop some actual trailer sales companies. These others you listed have 'middleman' prices for their piece of the pie. The tank you asked about is called a tote, which can usually be found for cheap. They're often used to transport soft drink syrup, bulk chem purchases, etc.

You can get a trailer like that around here for $700-$800. If you haven't already, you might want to shop some actual trailer sales companies. These others you listed have 'middleman' prices for their piece of the pie. The tank you asked about is called a tote, which can usually be found for cheap. They're often used to transport soft drink syrup, bulk chem purchases, etc.

Ditto. I paid $825 drive out for my 6x10 open trailer, and $1290 for my 5x8 enclosed w/ side door. Tote tanks can be found all over town for $75'ish.

Try trailer companies........and depending on your location, it makes a huge difference. Trailers are significantly cheaper in the middle of the country and prices go up the further from there you get. I've heard of prices on the west coast for trailers than dropped my jaw.

about $750 around here for a standard 5x10 open utility trailer as well. I'm curious, why such a large water tank? what gpm machine are you buying? The Reason I ask is if you plan to use it as a float tank, and you only plan to run a machine with 6gpm or less, you can get away with a much smaller tank, which will save a lot in weight, time filling and draining, and room on the trialer.

200 g. isn't going to really be enough to act as a good stand alone water supply. I would either thank about a smaller "back up float tank", or a larger "supply tank", on a bigger trailer. I use a 25g drum equiped with a hudson float valve to back up my 5.6 gpm machine, and I haven't had an occasion yet where it wasn't suffiecent in keeping up with a lower flow spigot.