Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

Stupid Computers

Question

Ok Wife And I Decided Now A Great Time To Buy A New Computer. So I Go On Dell And Man What The Hell Is Some Of This Stuff, So Now My Buddy Has To Come Over To Help Me Decided What I Need And What I Want. I Think 1500 Is My Max.ahhhhhh Computersare A Pita Sometimes.

11 answers to this question

Unless you have something specific in mind like DVD creation, graphics, design, etc most any computer sold today will meet your needs. Wait till Sam's club has a sale and buy what fits your budget.

You can buy a full featured computer now for around $500 - $700. Just like someone else said... unless you are doing some serious gaming or have the need to run many applications at one time then $1500 on a computer would be overkill.

Mike

Don't buy a Dell, buy a Toshiba, better built, better warranty, better customer service and tech help.

Unless you like supporting people making a buck a week in India that is.

I try not to buy from companies that outsource since it takes away from Americans who HAD jobs.

Ok I am aware most computers are built in Asia and some of those countries are not nice either but if not China I am ok with it.

My opinion and others may not agree with me.

Don't buy a Dell, buy a Toshiba, better built, better warranty, better customer service and tech help.

Unless you like supporting people making a buck a week in India that is.

I try not to buy from companies that outsource since it takes away from Americans who HAD jobs.

Ok I am aware most computers are built in Asia and some of those countries are not nice either but if not China I am ok with it.

My opinion and others may not agree with me.

oops.:whoops:

...Factories in Taiwan used to assemble the world's computers; now China does. Hong Kong garment workers used to stitch tons of fabric into finished clothing; now Chinese workers do. And Japanese plants once manufactured the world's most popular consumer electronics brands, like Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba; now many of them are shipped from Chinese ports...

...Japanese and South Korean companies are also coming to China in force. Panasonic of Japan now has 70,000 employees working in China; Toshiba's largest information technology production site in the world is in the Chinese coastal city of Hangzhou. And Samsung, the South Korean company, has 23 factories, 50,000 employees and all of its notebook PC production in China. Its last computer notebook factory in South Korea closed last year...

;)

I am this close (holding thumb and fore finger together) to starting an anti-chinese web site! As far as the computer goes, BestBuy or Circuit City. I've dealt with both and had good deals. My current computer (Athlon processor) is three years old and still kicks a**.

I am this close (holding thumb and fore finger together) to starting an anti-chinese web site! As far as the computer goes, BestBuy or Circuit City. I've dealt with both and had good deals. My current computer (Athlon processor) is three years old and still kicks a**.

Not exactly "Anti-chinese" but still focused on America:

http://www.madeinusa.org/

Look at the prices. You'll see why more people buy from foreign companies. My concern is that we import more than export (if not currently then soon). You can trade wealth within a country all you want, but the country as a whole does not get wealthier with this. If you export, the money comes in and the country gets wealthier. If you import, the money goes out and the country gets poorer. As our country gets poorer, we lose economic advantage in the international marketplace. China becomes a superpower. If they were capitalist by nature, that wouldn't bother me. But the fact that China is still a communist country and is quickly becoming the economic superpower (despite the capitalist drive by the companies) is a scary thought. America stopped allowing trade with Cuba and look where Cuba was left. Imagine if China--after the government has made enough money off American interests to coast on for a few years--decides to halt trade with the US. We would be incapable of producing anything for ourselves quite awhile. We also lack the skills.

well I know some of us including myself are anti foreign computers, but ended up with a dell e510 with 1gb mem 160hard 256 game card a probably a bunch more stuff i cant use but wife can 1200 so not bad plus can write off next year and can use as business computer with new software. now i need to figure out how to work the damm thing. lol thanks

I was going to build a new computer about 4 years ago starting from the mother board up. I priced everything I would need. Video card, memory, powersupply etc.

Well I started checking prices on the individual parts I needed and couldn't even come close to what they were selling prebuilt systems for.

I found a small mom and pop store locally. I couldn't believe there prices. I built a few systems in the past and new the components were top of the line.

My advice would be to anyone getting a new computer is:

1.Stay away from the big stores

2. Go with an AMD processor ( They're cheaper/faster than intel and I've used AMD chips for 7 years without a problem)

3. Always make sure they're upgradable. Extra PCI slots, enough usb ports, Firewire connections in front, room for more memory, room to add additional hard drives.

You shouldn't spend more than 600-700 for a really fast system. As far as the monitor goes, I still use a CRT and it looks better than most of the flat panel displays. I do alot of video/picture editing and won't buy flat panels until the price comes way down.

Magnus computers has a website that should have current prices but I haven't been on there for awhile. Hopefully this will help anyone buying a new computer.

Dan