Sign in to follow this  
Henry B.

wood tux and dressing up your wood.

Question

I have to admit I really do like the slogan and from what I've heard Beth raive about it I have to wonder if it might really be some good stuff.

My biggest concern is how well has this product been tested?

From everything I have read on here and online this product just came out within the last 6 months or so. That tends to make me a bit nervous about selling it to customers that I want to keep.

Ive been using ABR X100 for a few years for my high grade sealer and Olympic for my price shopping clients that want the name recognition of the product. Wood tux sounds great in name but is there anyone out there that has stained with it for the past few years?? I know different weather conditions and weathering conditions can make the same sealer act completly different so I'm REAL concerned about trying out a new product that has not been long term tested on someone elses property. I applied the ABR to the fence in my yard a year before I first sold it to a client just to see how well it held up and how long it lasted. It's been 5 years and the fence is just barely starting to fade. Can Wood tux offer the same guarrantee? More importantly, will wood tux back up their guarrantee? I'm not trying to badmouth anyones product, god knows how many of us feel about olympic and the smell of x100 but can anyone give us some history on this product?

5 answers to this question

Henry,

I understand what you're saying. One often overlooked factor during product testing is the lack of broad regional testing. In other words, the differences in climate between two regions can affect the performance of a product. What works good in Maryland may not perform the same in Michigan.

I think after a year or so, the real world results of Wood Tux will be available for us all. I think the product recipe might be tweaked along the way, looking for better performance.

I don't doubt for a minute that Russell had his product well tested. His wood restoration chemicals are excellent.

I also won't buy a new car that's in its' first model year. I figure by the second year, many of the bugs will be worked out, for the better.

For this season I'm sticking with ReadySeal & TWP. Next season I may include the Tux. I could never switch entirely to one brand because each product has a limited color selection. The TWP Cedar Tone is my most requested stain, because of the specific color that it is. Nothing else comes close.

The Wood Tux Honey Tone is unique, and may fit nicely in my product line up.

Henry,

Wood Tux was field tested last year and was also studied in a side by side against a major compeditor's product. Wood Tux held up better.

We have samples here if you want to swing by and get some, along with the chemical samples. Heck, say the word and I'll drive by and drop it at your doorstep. You're what....three blocks away?

Check it out for yourself. We have gone back to decks and fences, and they are just as beautiful today as they were in April and May when newly applied.

Beth

p.s. the testing on wet wood is going well, no ill effects to report thus far, but no statement from Extreme Solutions yet. That's a next year thing.

Oooops! Almost forgot. Many products will hold up that long on a vertical surface such as a fence. The true test, is your horizontals.

We have seen ABR fade after 2 years on horizontal surfaces. Olympic was even less. Wood Tux is designed to last up to 3 years on the horizontals. It will last even longer on verticals of course.

The ingredients are top quality. The results, very nice indeed. Extreme Solutions also ran it through acceleration tests as I recall.

Beth

I will say I had my first experience with Wood Tux and just from the start, it has more penetrating pigment than any product I have ever seen including ReadySeal, all TWP's and other top sealers. I have been doing this along time and have tried everything. I can tell by pigment alone that it will hold up better than anything. "hopefully".