Sign in to follow this  
Mike Stahmer

Wood Tux Tinting

Question

6 answers to this question

I'd like to use WTW, but like Mike I need more information about tinting. Same question; can I use the universal tints. And, has anyone worked out formulas.

Bill

I suppose that in theory you could use any tint system that is compatible with an oil based stain. We recommend that you use the ESI Tint system sold specifically for Wood-Tux WET.

Our tint package consists of two pints of pure pigment. The kit also comes with several easy to use measuring devices. The two colors that we send you are red and black. By adding red, black or both you can make any color from dark walnut to a bloodwood red. Remember because this is a transparent system the color of the wood will determine the final look of the finish.

Because we send you the highest quality pigment, it takes very little to get the job done. In most cases a squirt or two per gallon is just right. For instance a nice brown sugar color is achieved by adding a squirt of black per gallon. If you would like a dark western cedar look you can try two squirts of red and a half squirt of black. It really couldn't be easier to use.

The key is there are no rules. Each tint kit will provide enough pigment to color over 100 gallons of stain. For larger jobs the same tint system is available in gallons. Some contractors believe that having their own custom color is what separates them from their competition.

hope that helps!

Russell Cissell

imrcc1@aol.com

636-288-8512