Sign in to follow this  
Rodney

Composite /Trek board

Question

Made the mistake and mention that I saw a sealant for trek boards to help keep the black spores from coming back after I cleaned a home owners deck.

Is there a specal sealant. I am guessing that he does not want a stain with any pigment. Maybe it was on another site but I thought I saw seymore use something.I dont think it was his trade mark woodsaver.

7 answers to this question

Rodney

I stain a few composite decks on regular maintenace years.I used Gray Away when i stained them also it was a brown pigment to look like the composites look when they are new.

You could use a clear to prevent mildew but the deck will still turn Grey.

Thanks seymore.I dont know why I said woodsavers was for trade mark.I should have remembered Gray away. The boards I am talking about must be trek because they are already grey and they are only decking boards.The rest of the deck is PT wood. I believe I saw some on Rods pics on a deck he did

on see dirt run.

No prob Rodney...You should be able to clean the mildew with some bleach and soap.Then just seal it with a good clear sealer that has some good extra mildewcide.

Composite decking not sealed needs to be maintained atleast once a year if the deck is under a lot of trees.

I've been pretty happy to get 2 years on that deck i posted.The stain wore off in the sun and high traffic area but had very little mildew under the trees.

You said your customer wanted it to stay grey?

Seymore ,I believe the boards come grey. I could be wrong.The backside of the boards are ridged.I dont know if they are composite or trex.I am not familiar with either. I probably will recommend a clear sealer that can be purchased local.

Seymore ,I believe the boards come grey. I could be wrong.The backside of the boards are ridged.I dont know if they are composite or trex.I am not familiar with either. I probably will recommend a clear sealer that can be purchased local.

Rodney,Now i'm starting to see tinted composite decking in like a taupe color tone.All composite decking originally come in a brown color then grey out over time if the decking a few years old.

If you go to Lowes you can see the "Choice" decking and see the difference of the texture compared to Trex.

If you can get TWP clear local it would be your best bet

Look at the pic how the new Choice composite decking has engraved wood grain on them now.

Here is the link of the arbor i stained on top of the choice decking.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3012&d=1130645200

post-658-137772152826_thumb.jpg

TREX comes in different colors. Sometimes we see it in a mauve color, sometimes a grey color. The mildew, will return. The black that leaches out of the TREX will also return. (it's not always mildew folks) TREX is made of both plastic and wood. Since it has wood ground up in it, the tannin will bleed and leach out. You'll need to treat the deck for tannin bleeding.

Hope this helps.

Beth

p.s. we seal the wood if it is a combo deck, but we do not seal the TREX.