Sign in to follow this  
tanger

Upgrade of equipment

Question

Good evening

I would like to thank everybody on this web site for sharing thier invaluable information.

Most of my PW business is cleaning sidewalks and curbs and pool areas in "ritsy" neighborhoods.There is hardly any oil or gum. Just dirt. I currenty have 2 cold water 4000 psi and 4 gpm machines attached to 2 30 inch big guy surface cleaners. Well the PW machines are not cutting it. I have to walk slower than Winter to do a good job.

I have decided to upgrade my machines. I am looking at a 20 hp honda 3000psi 8gpm ,a 24 hp honda 3500psi 8gpm and a 27 hp Kolher 3000 psi 10.8 Gpm machines.All machines are cold water. Each one is 500$ more respectivley than the other.

My question is 1. will 500 psi make a big difference in the speed of my cleaning at 8gpm

2. Is the extra 500psi worth an extra 500$ between the Hondas or will they basically clean the same for my use.

3. Is it worth 500$ to 1000$ more for the 10.8 gpm machine.

Speed and doing a good job is the most important thing to me. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.. George

4 answers to this question

I realize you didn't ask this, but...... try switching to a 20" surface cleaner, and you will find the machines you have will work a whole lot better.

Regarding the questions, if you want to operate both of your current surfacers off one machine, go with the 10.8 gpm.

Remember, it's the flow (gpm) that does the work, not so much the psi.

Also check to see the maximum flow your surfacers can handle at a given psi. Some of the rotary swivels may not be able to handle large flow.

Also remember that the nozzles on the surfacer will have to be changed to match the specs of a new machine. And while I think of it, verify you have the correct nozzles installed on the surfaces you are using with your current washers.

Wouldn't hot water be a better solution than just going with a bigger machine? How about trying a hotbox for about $1100?

Not so much if he's not dealing with oil or gum. I never run hot water on residential concrete, unless I run into a spot where a car leaked, which is rare. The added cost in the machine, in fuel, maintenance, and shorter life span for hoses and connecters would outweigh any time saved (in my experience, anyway).

A quick pre-treatment with chlorine prior to cleaning takes care of any tannin stains or mold issues.