Sign in to follow this  
Matt

WTW Experience

Question

Disclaimer 1: Long read

Disclaimer 2: I'm a wood restoration zygote compared to many on this board. Constructive criticism welcomed.

COLOR:

------------------------

Warm Honey Gold

PRODUCT MIX:

------------------------

2:1 WTW:Water

MOISTURE CONTENT (RANGE):

------------------------

9% - 15%

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

------------------------

Deck 16x12

Raised 24" above ground

DECK CONDITION PRE-RESTORATION:

------------------------

Pressure Treated Pine. Approx age = 9 yrs.

Sealed w/ Thompson's latex semi-trans approx 11 months prior - http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/list.asp?show=home.products.wdStn.latex

PREPARATION:

------------------------

Stripped w/ HD80. Brightened w/ Citralic.

PROJECT NOTES:

------------------------

Staining performed on 2 seperate visits - reached job site @ 4:30 PM and returned the following morning to complete. Deckster was broken during day 1 and reparied by day 2 so I was able to experience brushing and spaying

Temp Range = 50-59 F

WTW EXPERIENCE:

---------------------

PUMP-UP SPRAYER - Since the Deckster was broken during day 1 I intially tried spraying with a pump-up garden sprayer. Unable to achieve a consistent or workable spray pattern with the pump sprayer. I tried with 2 seperate sprayers & adjustable cone tip & fan tip but WTW always streamed & splattered rather than sprayed.

BRUSHING -

Brushing WTW was pretty cool - Kinda like playing with mustard. Based on an earlier testing experiment which resulted in over-application of WTW - My brushing technique was to apply the product as thin as possible but ensure complete coverage. One thing I did like and note about brushing WTW is that since it's fairly viscous (even diluted 2:1) it doesn't run down the brush, your hand, arm, etc when brushing the underside of the rails. This is a solid benefit on jobs requiring lot's of underside coverage (i.e. pergolas, arbors, etc).

HVLP SPRAYING -

My experience spraying was positive.

Took a while experimenting with the Deckster settings. What I found worked best were the following settings. I'd be interested in what others are using:

175 PSI // Cone-tip w/ 4.5" spray pattern // vaiable gun-flow dialed @ approx 50%

Back-brushing is required as directed. The product is fairly thick/dense/viscous which helps direct it where it's aimed reducing over-spray drift compared to my experience spraying other oils. Once I found the above sprayer settings I found the spray pattern consistent.

PRODUCT USAGE:

---------------------

~ 2 gals

CLEAN UP:

---------------------

Some areas were over-applied which is apparent by glossy spotting. Removed these by wiping excess using either a dry rag or rag w/ mineral spirits. This was not a difficult process or large time consumer. Cleaning tools was simple w/ quick immersion using mineral spirits.

However, I ran water through the Deckster to clean which clogged the in-line filter. WTW was easily washed away from the lawn.

RESULTS:

---------------------

See photos.

I was pleased.

Customer was pleased.

I don't care for the color after 24 hrs - appears a little pumpkinish to me. Hopefully the color will continue to change as the product cures

POSITIVES:

---------------------

* Great coverage

* Easy clean-up of overspray. Big advantage. A few drops landed on the masonite siding and were cleaned easily - better than other products I've tried. It appeared that WTW dries & penetrates simultaneously instead of doing an immediate deep dive like other oils, thereby allowing over-spray to be removed easier.

* Rich color

* Uniform appearance

* Can apply to damp/wet wood. Allows early AM application.

NEGATIVES:

---------------------

* Unable to use pump-sprayer

* Ulgy color (so far)

* Spot wiping required for over-saturated areas

* Tint system is big unknown that will require testing which requires an investment of time and product & I'd offer only limited color selection anyway. I've been through the "custom color" roller-coaster with a customer using Cabots & it resulted in a bunch of wasted time. Trying to recall a prev formula when a customer calls for maintenence is another deterent to the custom color feature.

FUTURE:

---------------------

I'll continue to experiment with WTW but will also continue to use other products. My neighbor may allow me to conduct an experiment on her deck which will provide a testing platform for long term side-by-side comparison of a couple of products. More on that test as it develops...

post-1387-137772153009_thumb.jpg

post-1387-137772153023_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question